.243 savage

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by yoda, Jan 28, 2013.

1. yoda

yoda Well-Known Member

I just bought a savage model 14 in .243,

what is the right way to break in a new barrel. i have a vortex diamondback 4x 12 any good or toss it and get what. i m going to use it for varmit i like the 87 grain v max any good load for it. would like to use it out to about 300 yrd.

2. JackinSD

JackinSD Well-Known Member

Do a search of barrel break-in and you will find hundreds of threads. The basic final answer is: There are hundreds of ways and no proof to provide the correct answer.

3. D.ID

D.ID Well-Known Member

Sadly, That statement may be the only proven fact about barrel break in, That there is no proof.

4. snox801

snox801 Well-Known Member

Alright I have a savage axis 243 I got last spring. I ran a boresnake down it twice. And shot three rounds at a time letting cool in between and cleaning after every third round for the first box of ammo. Thats it. This gun with Winchester ct 95 gr. Noslers will shoot 5 shots in less than an inch everytime and roughly two inch groups at 300 yards(rifle may not be the problem its me). That being said I have been very lucky with this gun and ammo combo. Good luck

5. Rem700

Rem700 Well-Known Member

I clean all mine at the end of the year for storage over the winter and then let the gun tell me when i needs cleaned. My sendero and my 300rsaum shoot better real dirty then clean. But i had a TC ProHunter that wouldn't hit a paper plate at around 100rds. Clean it and it was a. 25 moa gun again.