.243 Ackley

Greg Duerr

After waiting 1 year i should be getting my custom .243 Ackley...................

For those who know what would be your first choice for a varmint bullet......?

I thought about the Sierra 70gr Blitz King......................

or what about a bullet for Deer......................

I also thought about the 95gr Berger since it has a 1x9 twist barrel............Ive also heard a lot of good things about the 90 gr Swift Scirooco

I would appreciate your imput.

Greg

I am a big fan of Betters. I shoot a lot of them in a broad range of calibers. Even in .243 caliber. I have had good success with the 105s on deer. 95 grainers should be about the same. However, small fragmenting bullets like this on deer sized game is not to good on paper. I've been pleased with them and I shoot for the high shoulder. This little pill doesn't make it to the off side chest cavity much of the time though. A more solid bullet such as the swift scirrorco might be a good round. My wife shoots a factory 243 and I load her up with 100 grain sierra soft point boat tails. They do a heck of a job. Great little hunting round for deer. I've tried scirroco a few times and couldn't get as good a groups with them as I could with the Bergers and in her factory rifle I tried the scirrocos and same thing. Her gun shot the sierra hunting bullets better.

Thanks for the imput I have heard that from even swift tecks that it is hard getting the scirooco's to shoot......................My .243 shot the 80gr TSX Tipped great and it sure did a number on my antelope last year...........

Ive heard good things about the 85gr Sierra HP to..........

Thanks for your feedback.......................

the 95 grain bergers are a good choice,I also really like the 105 Amax, not sure if you need a 8 twist though, my 243 wssm is an 8 twist

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.