Savage 110FCP HS .338LM Mods

jgrreed

Hi All,

I'm in the midst of setting up my first loooooong range gun. I opted for an FCP, as the next best option, IMO, was 3-4x the cost.

I've done a few customization things to it that I wanted to share.

The gun comes out of the box at 10.7lbs. That scared me. So, off to the web I went. I first changed the brake to a Coretac. Available in, and made in Canada!! It's reviewed well, and adds some weight.

I then went looking for recoil reducers. I found the mercury tubes from C&H research in Kentucky. I tried calling them a few times, which was a bit frustrating, but whatever.... I eventually found them here in the north from Corlane's in Dawson Creek, BC. I bought 2, in the hopes that there'd be room in the buttstock for both, and there was. They're both 7/8"x5", and weigh 1lb each. I initially hoped to dremel out a socket for one in the forestock too, but I'm glad I didn't, and I'll explain why below.

So, I learned a couple things. First, the FCP in .338's recoil pad is glued on, not screwed. Get out your knife. Second, the buttstock of the HS stock is hollow. Laugh at me if you want for not knowing - but it felt solid to me. With a 7/8" drill bit from Princess Auto (our version of Harbour Freight) I was able to ream sockets for the tubes without any grief. I places them in, and used low E spray foam to secure them. Ta-da.

Then, I attacked the forestock with my dremel to make room from some more weight. i first was impatient and used .177 BB's - dumb. Thank goodness the garbage epoxy I bought from Can Tire didn't fire off, so I scooped it all out. By that time, I was able to procure some #9 shot - way better choice. Then I got impatient again and bought JB marine weld. I read somewhere that marine epoxy was a good choice - I was wrong, or at least I bought the wrong one. It's OK, but I really should've got a runnier and clear epoxy. I was able to get a full pound (16oz) of lead into the forestock (compared with 9oz of bb's). Once it cured, I took a nice round tip dremel bit and floated the barrel.

I reamed a cylinder of sprayfoam between the mercury tubes (by hand, didn't want to have an Hg leak!!) and filled it with shot held in place by gorilla glue.

With these mods the stock + harris bipod as gone from 3lbs 13oz to 6lbs 13oz. When it's all said and done with an enhanced ATACR on ATRS rings, it'll be 17lbs 6oz. I'm not scared anymore....!!!

I've also added a Kydex cheekrest from Matthew at #matthewsfabrication - great guy, would recommend him in a heartbeat. I was able to cross drill the upper part of the buttstock and still leave lots of room for the upper mercury tube.

So, I'm awaiting the arrival of my ATACR, and then I'm gonna ring some steel waaaaay out there!!! I will eventually glass bed the action. I'm a bit nervous, but what can possibly go wrong....??? (don't answer that).

-J.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.