Savage 110 FCP HS 338LM

Well I went a shot it for the first time this past weekend. I shot paper at 100yds. I was able to hold around 1moa. I had one ragged hole goin and 1 or 2 "flyers", still real close to 1" 4 shot group (I didnt measure it with my calipers). I was cleaning the barrel after the every shot, so every shot was a fowler. This is with no load development. I was shooting 89gr H1000 w/ COAL 3.645 (IIRC). The velocity was 2725-2754. I will load up to 91gr, maybe a little more eventually, then play with seating depth. This is short enough to fit in the mag and be around 30 thou off the lands. Recoil was a non issue. It was less than my dad's 7RM shooting 162s at 3040fps (no break). I didn't shoot my 300rum today to compare it against, but I think the 338LM is slighty less felt recoil. I'll post again when I get everything dialed in. I need to re-level the scope and do some load development. Over all I was very happy. The recoil really surprised me. The gun does weigh just under 15lbs with scope and bipod, but it is still flingin a 300gr bullet @ 2740 fps. I'm hoping to get close to 2850, We'll see. Since the pic I've swapped for aluminum rings and am using a EGW HD 20MOA rail. I also added a lace up cheek pad. It helps getting a good cheek weld, but makes it a pain to clean and a little tough to remove the bolt. I can't use my bore guide when it is on.

I've been really interested in getting one of these. I've been putting it off too long and decided today that I want one...well now I can't find any. Any idea who has them in stock? Also thanks for your time and info on the gun, did you do any further testing downrange?

Dustin

No more testing at long range. It is early archery elk season here. I've been helping on some hunts. I also don't wanna go target shooting at any of my LR target spots. A September archery elk tag is a big deal here. I hope to shoot about 10 more rounds at 89gr, then work my way up around 91gr. I may be leaving for British Columbia mid October for 2 weeks to be a pack mule on a goat hunt. I'm going to try and get some stuff done by then. There just isn't enough weekends in the fall:D. I'll make sure that when I do work something up I'll let you guys know. I have read that you can special order a 110 FCP from Savage, with what ever barrel length you want for no extra charge, just have to pay MSRP. I was lucky and got one of the first ones from Budsguns. I have also learned that Savage ordered a bunch of rails from EGW that are going to be 20MOA. It sounds like they will still be the tactical rail. I would really suggest the HD rail, just to get the scope sitting lower. I still ended up needing a cheek pad with the 35mm tube and 56mm obj using low rings. Without the pad, my jaw bone was on top of the stock for a good sight picture. The only thing I don't like is the shape of the trigger. I prefer a wider trigger. I have been looking for trigger shoes, but haven't found any for a savage yet.

I shot 1135yd this morning, killing rocks, first shot was on the edge of a 6" (I'm estimating) spot on the rock. My groups are good, but not stellar. Most are around 1 MOA. I would feel a lot better if I can get it under .75 consistantly. Right now my OAL is 3.765 w/ Berger 300gr OTM, just able to fit in the magazine, I'll play with seating depth and see if I can shrink up the groups any. I'll proably play a little bit with neck tension. Im at 2 thou now, may see how it like 1 thou tension. I recently bedded the stock. I'll put another 20rds through it and see how the bedding is holding up. Eveything went well, except the recoal lug. I didn;t use enough material, although the skim bedding of the bedding block came out just right, if it holds to the aluminum. My latest loads were 91.9gr H1000 @ 2820fps, less than 20fps ES. Thats about max load. I'm getting an occasional slight extractor mark, only when the light is just right. I dont wanna push the brass to hard. I'll probably end up between 91.5 and 91.9gr. I've got less than 100rds so far though it. I hauled it this weekend for a first timer's deer hunt (I was hoping to find a bear for me). It is just under 15lbs scoped w/ bipod, it is more than I'm used to, but doable . The brake is impressive, works really well.

I'll eventually get a load worked out, and Ill post it here when I settle on it. I'm sure I can get something consistantly under 1moa.

Darius, if you have links for the load info on the hide you you post them or PM thm to me, I'd like to see what pthers are having luck with.

This is my first posting here....... I just took delivery of my 110 FCP last week and have been in touch with Richard www.nearmfg.com If you are unfamiliar with his work then its definitely worth a look!!! I have several of his rings and bases on my long range rigs and have to say they work as well as they look.
He has not yet made a base for this new Savage action but is undertaking this task now. If/when I am able to take delivery, I will be sure to post a pic or two.
I shot 3 rounds through this new rifle just to fire form a few cases ( No Scope !) and also to see what kind of recoil to expect and was pleasantly surprised at how light it was !! ( 300gr Berger and 90gr of Retumbo) I can hardly wait to start some actual load developement as every Savage I own has been nothing short of phenomenal in terms of accuracy.....so I have high expectations for this rig. :)

That is exactly what i was thinking,i am not sure the case will feed properly.and with limited o.a.l. of 3.7" it could be an issue.will wait to hear others chime in:)

I too was thinking the same thing as I would like to put a longer barrel on this piece....BUT, I was told there would be feeding issues with the magazine as well, and that would just defeat the purpose altogether if one had to single feed. :(

i wonder if i could install a Seekins DBM that feeds the A.I. lapua,it may involve some inletting though

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.