Rebarreling a savage 110fcp 338 lapua

Jrayecu

I have decided to put a aftermarket barrel on my savage 110 FCP currently chambered in the 338 lapua. I have decided to stick with the 338 lapua . I have decided to go with a prefit shilen barrel that they are going to chamber for a 250 grain berger bullet. What twist rate , diameter , groove, and length should I go with ? I really don't care about weight but will be hunting with it but can drive very close to hunting spots. How much of a difference in fps and accuracy should I expect over the factory 24" + 2 " brake?

If the Shilen barrel beats the accuracy of my friend's FCP with the factory barrel, it would be filling a tall order... Savage has really outdone themselves with these 338LM barrels... cold clean bore shots right in the group... accuracy holding up for long strings of fire... my 110BA does the same; a very good shooter.

They do tend to need 50 rounds of break in, on average.

We're shooting 300 grain Matchkings and 89.3 grains of Retumbo in Lapua cases. The 250's in the Savages don't do as well, due to the 9 twist...

If you've been shooting 250's, and don't want to shoot heavier than that, then yes, I'd say you can improve on the accuracy with a custom barrel with maybe a 10 twist for the 250's.

They recently pitted Steyr's best 338LM against the Savage FCP in long range rifle magazine... they didn't shoot anything heavier than the 250's, and there was hardly any accuracy difference between the two rifles. Had they given the Savage the 300's it loves the 6000 dollar Steyr would have certainly lost the contest. ;)

Dan

It shoots great with the factory barrel but most everything can be built better. I do shoot 300 smk or 300 Berger hybrids , I have built many savage 260 ai, 6.5x284, 308, 22-243 all have out shot the 338 out to 600 yards . I am always striving to better my rifles and shooting skills and in plus I can always go back to the old barrel and sell the shilen if it doesn't shoot well

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.