First outing with the Savage 110FCP 338Lapua

^ Depends allot on the bullet used. I can fit OAL of ~ 3.740 in the DBM and with 300gr SMK I measured ~ 3.710 to the lands. The 300gr Scenar's are very similar to the SMK's as well. I dont have any Berger OTM's to measure but I dont think I can get the ogive close to the lands and still have the cartridge fit in the DBM.

I can tell you the Factory OAL for 300gr Lapua Scenar's is 3.600" and they fly great and that's with about 0.1" jump. So it may not be necessary to load for a minimal 0.010" jump.

^ Depends allot on the bullet used. I can fit OAL of ~ 3.740 in the DBM and with 300gr SMK I measured ~ 3.710 to the lands. The 300gr Scenar's are very similar to the SMK's as well. I dont have any Berger OTM's to measure but I dont think I can get the ogive close to the lands and still have the cartridge fit in the DBM.

I can tell you the Factory OAL for 300gr Lapua Scenar's is 3.600" and they fly great and that's with about 0.1" jump. So it may not be necessary to load for a minimal 0.010" jump.
I need you to work up a load with h1000 and 300gr SMKS and Br2 primers. So next year when I buy one of my own I wont have too, I use h1000 in my .300WM be nice to use the same powder for two rifles. Loading 90+gr and 79+gr in two rifle ill be buying it my the truck load.

I need you to work up a load with h1000 and 300gr SMKS and Br2 primers. So next year when I buy one of my own I wont have too...

Haha, Send me some powder and projectiles and I'll get right on it :D

It will be some time before I do any testing with H1000, I'm starting with N570 and Retumbo with 300gr'ers. Educated guess, with 26" barrel, 1 in 9 twist, and 300gr projectiles I think Retumbo, N170 and N570 may be the way to go. Since I don't load for anything else that requires a H1000 like powder I'm not biased to one or another, just what ever seems to work best. I may even try US689 before H1000.

I've standardized on Federal primers for all my loads now and have enough to last me years.

Haha, Send me some powder and projectiles and I'll get right on it :D

It will be some time before I do any testing with H1000, I'm starting with N570 and Retumbo with 300gr'ers. Educated guess, with 26" barrel, 1 in 9 twist, and 300gr projectiles I think Retumbo, N170 and N570 may be the way to go. Since I don't load for anything else that requires a H1000 like powder I'm not biased to one or another, just what ever seems to work best. I may even try US689 before H1000.
Lol worth a shot. I am also gonna play with the idea of Molly coating to get more life out of the tube. What kind of press are you using? I have a Hornady but it's too short to seat bullets with my WM thinking of getting a CoAx or Rockchucker.

I have three, Hornady L&L Classic, Dillon 650XL and a new Redding T-7. You can use the Hornady for 338LM but you have to cant the cartage, inserting the bullet in to the seating die before sliding the rim in to the shell holder. Not a big deal really, but the T-7 has more headroom and just works great.

I have three, Hornady L&L Classic, Dillon 650XL and a new Redding T-7. You can use the Hornady for 338LM but you have to cant the cartage, inserting the bullet in to the seating die before sliding the rim in to the shell holder. Not a big deal really, but the T-7 has more headroom and just works great.
Thats what I do now with the WM. Prolly just deal and use the money for lapua brass.

Thanks!

Ill need to update the photos, got the 110BA Bolt handle on it now. Put 200 rounds down range in the last month and a half. Love shooting this thing. Found a good load for it that gives consistent sub 3/4 moa and many times 1/2 moa groups.

Going out to try it at >1000y here in the next month now I have worked up some good loads for it.

14.5lbs total.

With the optic. 10 and change bare. Right where my Karsten on tupperware weighs.

Not a gun to lug in the mountains (without a lackey to carry it) but tons of fun.... at a price of course. Eventually the ammo will equal the price of admission but isn't that the way it always works.

$1100.00 everday (bare).

Gee, half the cost of a Schmidt and Bender......:D

What brand and model is your bipod? Just get the 110BA 338 with Nightforce 5.5-22x56. Going out for 1st time tomorrow!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.