Ruger Number One at 300 yds

I found a Ruger M77 with the Tang safety in 30-06 at a pawn shop the other day. They were selling it for $300, because it didn't have rings. I got it for $250 plus tax. I checked the barrel and I don't think it had had more than three boxes of ammo through it. It also has the original adjustable trigger. I bought a set of Leupold medium rings at $80 and put it into operation. I'm still working on loads, but loads for my Ruger M77MKII give around 1" or tighter already, and that was in the wind. Gotta love Ruger rifles.
I'll give you 350

Nice rig!!! Ya gotta love the Ruger No.1....

I have owned five No.1's, still have three. Really regret selling the 25-06 No.1V & the 7x57 No.1 RSI. :(

As far as accuracy goes my 243 No.1 K1B-B-BBZ will shoot factory ammo into the same hole at 100 yards.

I have a No.1 V 7mm Rem Mag made in 1977 (unfired) & a No.1 H in 375 H&H Mag made in 1976. Both have gorgeous wood.
The 7mm...
CC90AEF2-869C-4D75-B978-624D2BFA8FF7.jpeg
AE83A421-D045-4941-99D2-CC295DB7CA0A.jpeg
B0834C72-6600-4339-ACDE-73B73FDF9CDE.jpeg

My 25-06 was re-barreled by Ruger in 2006, I believe. I bought it used in 1984 or 5 in Hawaii for $700 or so with a leupold scope. It shot 1/2 inch at 100 yards with Winchester ammo, and about 0.85 in with Remington. I don't know how much it had been shot. I was stationed in Colorado in 1988 and traded it to a friend in '90, then got the same rifle back in '95 without the scope. Ruger replaced the barrel for $180 + shipping and when they got it, they replaced all the springs, the rear stock(they found a crack) and the fore end because it didn't match anymore. The only things they didn't replace were the action, hammer, block and trigger sear. I kill prairie dogs with it regularly at 300 to 400 yards, and it shoots into 0.6 inches at 100 yards (5 shots) with either Speer or Sierra 100 and 117-120 grain bullets. I kind of like Ruger. Also, the M77 that I bought for nearly nothing in 30-06 shoots into less than an inch with 180 grain Sierras, 168 grain Hornadays and 180 grain Speers. It has a trigger pull of about 3.5lb, is adjustable and has no creep or overtravel. I think I'll keep it and give it to either my son or my son in law after I get a little more out of it.

I also had 25-06 that shot .5 moa with 100 grain Sierra game kings game warden worried me to death about selling to him after I let him take it to do some deer control Wish I had kept

Lovely rifle you have there! I've always loved the Ruger no. 1 rifles I agree with others that they are the most elegant and beautiful rifles built in the USA. I just picked up a number 1 in 270 win on gunbroker and can't wait to see how it shoots.

I had the opportunity to shoot one chambered in .416 Rigby. Actually quite pleasant to shoot, but I shot standing not from a bench.....from the bench, I have a different opinion! :) memtb

I have liked the looks of the #1 from the day I first saw it. Wanted my own -- had to have one, so finally found one in a Montana gun shop about 45 years ago in .22-250 and laid my money down.

It is still a beautiful looking rifle, but I have never been able to get it to shoot less than about 1.5", so it stays in the back of the safe. Knowing what I now know about reloading for accuracy, I should pull it out and see if I can tighten the groups.
There are a couple of things that can be done to accurize a Ruger No. 1. E. Arthur Brown company makes a harmonic stabilizer that can easily be installed on the barrel and hanger of a Ruger with a standard barrel which can greatly improve groups in the Ruger. If I ever get the money to buy another Ruger in a medium configuration, I'll probably buy and install it. I don't need it for the 25-06 varminter, though. I wish I'd kept the Ruger in 223 I had back in 1978, though. It was a 26 inch barrel, if I remember correctly, and extremely accurate.

Does anybody Remember the Ruger number 3 I had one in 22 hornet and one in 223 both were very accurate

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.