.338 Berger Hybrid Gen 2's at 1900+ yds

Broz

I have about 150 of the Berger .338 Gen 2's down range now and I have to say I am pleased. It is no secret I am a Berger fan and this is one of the reasons. Pics say it all. Was shot yesterday at the field shoot at Augusta Ranch. I got these 3 hits on the 36" gong at 1905 yards with the range owner (Aug) and Montana Marine spotting for me. If you haven't been to one of these field shoots, I would recommend it highly. The range is full of steel targets and several shooting station. Real word shooting range in hunting like field conditions, range it , dope the scope and fire.

The conditions for my shots at 1905 were a bit tricky. Bright with mirage, varying wind 5 to 12 mph. Shooting across a couple drainages and a slight up hill ascend to the target with a bit of an up lifting thermal.

Specs:

.338 LM 27" Lilja 1 in 10

92.5 gr of H-1000 MV of 2795 fps.

NF NXS 5.5~22x50 NP-R1

Ranged with a Vectronix PLRF-10

Shooting Solution was with "Shooter" using Bergers G 7 BC of .419 Spin Drift and Coriolis were engaged.

Jeff gun)----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DSC03067Small.jpg

DSC03072Small.jpg

DSC03073Small.jpg

Last edited:
WoW!! That is quite impressive.........WoW. Congratulations Jeff.

Was your first shot the center mass hit, or did you walk it in there?
3 hits out of 3 shots??

WoW!! That is quite impressive.........WoW. Congratulations Jeff.

Was your first shot the center mass hit, or did you walk it in there?
3 hits out of 3 shots??

No, sorry, let me explain a little more to be accurate. I engaged the target twice. First set of 4 for the first hit to get dialed in to the wind and forth shot was the first hit. Then let her cool and fired 3 more with two hits. Wind was taking the mirage from a 0 boil to a flat line 10 to 12 mph. Shot timing matched with contitions were crucial and spotters watched and called conditions for me.

BnG, I used the SD and Coriolis for every shot past 1000. I had very good success on targets at 1160, and 1180 too. I sent 3 to the 1180 target as fast as I could chamber them with 3 hits at 3/4 moa. I did the same on a 700 yard target with a 1/2 moa group.

The only time I was not on was when I didn't detect a up lifting wind to an ascending target, and the grass was laying over right there to prove it.:rolleyes:

But yes, I will continue to use SD and Coriolis on targets past 1000.:)

Jeff gun)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's still outstanding shooting in my book, Congrats again:)

How close were the first attempts, did the program put you relatively close for those?

That's still outstanding shooting in my book, Congrats again:)

How close were the first attempts, did the program put you relatively close for those?

Yes, Elevation was good, wind as always was the critter. The second and 3rd shots were between the post and target I believe.

62.5 moa bullet path almost 100 feet above line of sight. (hard to read wind up there):D

Impact Velocity was 1318 fps

Impact energy was 1157 ft lbs

Time of flight was 2.98 seconds.

Jeff

Great results, that will warm the hearts of every 338 owner wanting to try the new berger 300gr hybrid 2. That banana looking jacket from the 300gr hybrid is showing some pritty impressive expansion for 1905 yards:D

But yes, I will continue to use SD and Coriolis on targets past 1000.:)

Jeff gun)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff,
It's been a good year since we last posted on the subjects of spin drift and Coriolis drift. Do you see these two sources of drift at 1000 yds too now? Or still not evident until you move out to farther distances?

Or do you simply zero for spin drift at 1000 yds, and then just include dope for SD and CD combined at the longer ranges?

Curious, as I know you weren't seeing these sources of drift the last we Posted about them. I'm further north so I experience a little more CD than you would.

BTW, that's good shooting to hit anything at 1900 yds with the winds you described. You must be up in the Pro class when it comes to doping the wind!

Paul

Jeff, congrats man, that's awesome for a 338 LM... just kidding Jeff!

Nice shooting... It's also good to put a face to the name. I don't remember seeing
a picture before.

Keep up the good shooting!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.