.338 Berger Hybrid Gen 2's at 1900+ yds

Jeff,
It's been a good year since we last posted on the subjects of spin drift and Coriolis drift. Do you see these two sources of drift at 1000 yds too now? Or still not evident until you move out to farther distances?

Or do you simply zero for spin drift at 1000 yds, and then just include dope for SD and CD combined at the longer ranges?

Curious, as I know you weren't seeing these sources of drift the last we Posted about them. I'm further north so I experience a little more CD than you would.

BTW, that's good shooting to hit anything at 1900 yds with the winds you described. You must be up in the Pro class when it comes to doping the wind!

Paul

Paul, I zero at 200 with a leveled rifle and a reticle trued to the rifle with a plum line target at 100 yards.

I have always been a believer in SD and CD . I have seen the SD in all my rifles at 1000 by usually 1/2 to 3/4 moa. When I use Exbal I would simply remember to add it to the solution.

I see Coriolis as a very small effect under 1000 or maybe even 1200. So small that I don't feel it is worth its extra time to employ. The effect is so small I feel it is pretty much undetectable due to wind above line of sight and human errors we cant do much about.

When I was trying to work Load Base 3.0 into my shooting I was having lots of trouble but don't know for sure what the culprit was. All I know is I was constantly shooting left with LB 3.0. Maybe it was the program, maybe it was me and my inability to enter proper data, ?? But as soon as I went back to exbal I was back on target. So I gave up on LB as I felt it was way more involved than I needed and I wanted something easier for me to run that employed both SD and CD. Shooter, although I am still testing and comparing, seems to be the answer for me.

Jeff gun)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff, congrats man, that's awesome for a 338 LM... just kidding Jeff!

Nice shooting... It's also good to put a face to the name. I don't remember seeing
a picture before.

Keep up the good shooting!

Eaglet, Thank you. And I thank you and other members for your time and help in the past that helped get me where I am today. It seems that once you step past the 1000 yard mark it becomes very tough to perfect your shooting disciplin.

Shooting at 1000 and at 1900 are about as close to each other as we are to Jupiter. As I venture farther out I may be realizing the possibilities of a first round hit without sighters are few and far between. That, I am not ready to accept yet. I plan to work more to better my skills in both marksmanship and ability to read conditions. At any rate, I do know my effective range and will stay inside this distance when engaging game. I owe it to the animals.

But I love to shoot and Ilike the challenges that come with ELR. So as long as I can I will be burning more powder.

Thanks all.

Jeff

Eaglet, Thank you. And I thank you and other members for your time and help in the past that helped get me where I am today. It seems that once you step past the 1000 yard mark it becomes very tough to perfect your shooting disciplin.

Jeff

The winds you mentioned that day are what I have here just about every day. 8-12 is very common, 12-16 isn't uncommon. Very rare to see below 5mph here where I live.

Curious where you would call your personal max range on antelope under the conditions you were shooting that day?? Whatever it is, I am sure it's much further than what mine are at this time, but wondering nonetheless.

Thanks, and once again; Great Shootin!

SBruce, The tricky thing was the wind at the rifle that day was 0 to 5 mph with a few 7 mph gusts. But we used visual conditions up the hill from the target to the horizon to get the dope. This was handy since the bullet path was into that area being 100 ft above line of sight. The mirage and tall grasses were good indicators. The conditions over a mile away were definatly differnt on that ridge than at the rifle.

That day with these conditions I am confident any game at 1000 would have been inside my effective range. I held 1/2 and 3/4 moa 3 shot groups at these distances.

Jeff

Last edited:
That sounds even tougher than here, because it's usually pretty constant here. What I mean is it's flat enough in most places that a 8-12 wind is pretty consistant from rifle to target.

Thanks.

Really nice shooting Jeff! Little Jealous, I was not up at Augustus ranch with you guys. Here it is a great place to shoot with some very experienced guys.

I did not realize you had this thread going when we spoke yesterday. I saw your post on the hide. Shot my 1st loads last night with the Gen II's. Won't hijack your thread but my 338 LAI really woke up with these Bergers.

Really nice shooting Jeff! Little Jealous, I was not up at Augustus ranch with you guys. Here it is a great place to shoot with some very experienced guys.

I did not realize you had this thread going when we spoke yesterday. I saw your post on the hide. Shot my 1st loads last night with the Gen II's. Won't hijack your thread but my 338 LAI really woke up with these Bergers.

SHRTSHTR, I wish you would have been at the shoot too. Its been a long time since we spent that day shooting at TRGRMAN's.

Feel free to post what ever you want about your AI and the Bergers here if you like. The more info the better.

Jeff gun)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question for you guys in the know, are these bullets commonly available for purchase yet, or are these some of the ones Berger sent out for testing?

This is the reply I got from Teresa at Berger. I made sure to back order some early in June, so I might be able to get some of the first run.

"Ryan,

I would imagine that you will be able to find those by the 1st week of July we are shooting for 3rd-4th week of June for production. "

Bruce,
I had 250 of the Gen 1 bullets that I returned because I shoot a 338 LAI. Berger was or is filling all backorders on returned Gen 1's and replacing with the new version.

I have an additional 500 on backorder with Sinclair. Hope they get here soon, as I plan on doing a lot of shooting this summer. Hope this helps.

I did hear of a similar report from Eric Stecker the day before yesterday. Looking forward to them!

"We will start making the jackets by the end of this month. Bullet should become available in large quantities by the end of July"

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.