Rifled Suppressor

Bravo 4

image.jpg

Anybody ever seen rifling in a suppressor?

Didn't think so, that's because they are not supposed to have rifling.:cool:
I got this suppressor a few weeks ago for a project I have been working on (inadvertently) for over two years.
The "builder" made the first baffle so tight that the bullet engraved rifling marks it got from the barrel. Caused the bullet to yaw in flight and strike the last baffle which made a dent. Lucky for me it didn't set off the incindiary bullet I was shooting.
This was his second attempt to build me a .510 caliber can. The first one was basically one of his .308 caliber cans opened up. I had bullets slightly making contact with the end cap and it would make the rifle group about 4-9"+ @ 25 yards! Plus it didn't have enough internal volume to be as effective as I wanted. So while I waited for a replacement I had somebody else open it up.

Interesting. I never had a bullet engrave rifling marks in the can, but I've had a few bullets strike the last baffle. This was not due to the construction of the can, but due to the shoulder on the tenon not being square with the centerline of the bore. Not my rifle, but ones I made stocks for. That was easily corrected.

After having the issues you had, I'm not sure I would have the same manufacturer make me a second one......especially if he thinks he can effectively use a .308 can for a .510 application.lightbulb

I was put on to this guy buy a friend that has had at least half a dozen rifles built buy him. They were all very well made and were very accurate. But it seems like when he took my project on he made a total 180 degree turn. Here is what I have gone through with him;
The barrel was-
*9" longer than what I wanted
*Not the twist I wanted
*Wrong contour, to which he turned down
*Didn't send a dummy cartridge to the reamer maker for the wildcat I wanted so when the rifle was "done" a year later it wouldn't chamber a round. Had to order my own reamer and sent in a couple dummys, this time it was correct.
When I got it back the trigger didn't work for some reason.
Ended up taking the rifle to a rifle builder at the MTU to fix the trigger, rechamber, cut the barrel back, cut the crown and rethread. Plus open up the first suppressor so it would allow a bullet to travel through unimpeded.
*then waited over another year to get the first suppressor's replacement. You are supposed to be able to disassemble it, however I have tried about everything and it won't come apart. Plus had the MTU smith open this one up as well.
Plus this guy didn't like to return calls, emails or text.
I'm sure there is more, this is just off the top of my head.

After having the issues you had, I'm not sure I would have the same manufacturer make me a second one......especially if he thinks he can effectively use a .308 can for a .510 application.lightbulb

The second one was to replace the first. Yeah I don't think I will be using him ever again. The same buddy of mine had him build a .338 Lapua that the builder mistakenly chambered in .338 Edge...it shoots so well my buddy didn't bother with it. He also had been waiting over a year for this guy to rebarreled a 22-250, he finally got it back and even though it shoots really well the guy screwed up quite a bit on the fit and finish. It looks like crap. He is done with him too.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.