Rifle weight %?

The thread about rifle weights made be wonder about rifle weight as a percentage of your body weight. I'm 5' 7" and 160 pounds. O yea, I'm 78 years old. Should I expect to carry the same weight as another guy who 6' and 220 pounds?

Not at all. You should carry whatever weight rifle is comfortable for you.

I think it gets into our brain that we are carrying something heavier on our shoulders. When I think about it, it's not that my feet feel it, my shoulder knows it.
If I went on a diet, and lost the 10 pounds that my rifle weighs, my shoulder would still feel the 10 pounds regardless. Worse if the gun is barrel heavy, as it always sways around and constantly adjusting the strap on my shoulder so it doesn't nose dive into the dirt/rocks. Yeah, I did that.
If I put it in my backpack, strapped in, I think it would be less noticeable as it limits sway and distributes the load to both shoulders and hip.
When I hike for exercise, I always use my pack with weight (water), but I need to pack a heavy gun to try to train my brain to just suck it up. It is what it is.

Bob Wright,
You mentioned carrying your rifle on your shoulder. I carry my rifle in my left hand if the hill is on my right side. Then in my right hand if the hill is on my left side.

I do use a sling when I'm using the binoculars.

When I was in my fifties I used water in one l or 2 litter bottles for weight in my back at home. Interestingly, I got stronger so I switched to sand in the bottles.

The thread about rifle weights made be wonder about rifle weight as a percentage of your body weight. I'm 5' 7" and 160 pounds. O yea, I'm 78 years old. Should I expect to carry the same weight as another guy who 6' and 220 pounds?
I range from 170-190 depending on my desire to bulk or be less bulk. I feel my best at 170 and am little sh!t at 5'6". I used to carry a 13-14lb rifle and my gear runs 45 lbs (rifle, pack, binos) for a day pack. My rifle is now 9 lbs, but my gear pack is 40-42lbs. I do not like carrying anything in my hands unless I am stalking. So a sling set up or a scabbard pack is prefered for hands free. I do a lot of glassing while hiking around and need my hands free, especially if using walking sticks in the steep terrain. My personal opinion is that age and weight have little to do with a persons tolerance, it's really about desire and strength. So, me, I don't like carrying a rifle in my hands, it's in my scabbard or a sling most of the time. If I was hunting thick country and expecting jump shots I would not be carrying a long range rig that's for sure.

Rich……actually no, as you are far more experienced! 😉

In reality, I strongly suspect that the majority of those using firearms exceeding 12 pounds or so do not carry their firearms…..except from the house to the vehicle! 🤔 There would be few that carry in the mountains, the way many of us used to hunt! memtb

Last edited:
Never thought about it but seems like a good rule of thumb would be 5%. I still think that depends on physical fitness. 5% for you is #8, for me it's #14. Then again I'm overweight and out of shape, my 14 may be a far greater challenge than your 8.

Sir…..I respect your honesty! Something quite refreshing this morning! memtb

I am 6'0" 165 pounds and 34 years old. I carry rifles weighing between 8 and 11 pounds. Almost always carried in the hands. I live in the Appalachians and hunt between 2400' and 5000'. Gun weight as a percentage of body weight to me is of no consequence.

As an example I've recently lost 20+ pounds, the other day I went for a 3.2mile run carrying a 5# weight in each hand. That was a tough run even though my total weight was still less than it used to be. I think rifle weight is more consequential on strength and conditioning than total body weight.

I am 6'0" 165 pounds and 34 years old. I carry rifles weighing between 8 and 11 pounds. Almost always carried in the hands. I live in the Appalachians and hunt between 2400' and 5000'. Gun weight as a percentage of body weight to me is of no consequence.

As an example I've recently lost 20+ pounds, the other day I went for a 3.2mile run carrying a 5# weight in each hand. That was a tough run even though my total weight was still less than it used to be. I think rifle weight is more consequential on strength and conditioning than total body weight.

Agree with this. I spent quite a few years in the MC and carried scoped rifles between 15-20lbs on top of 125+ lbs of gear in some big mountains for a lotta miles. After carrying that <15lb rifle was a dream. At that time I was 6' and 175lbs. I was carrying pretty close to my body weight in a typical load out back then. Now I was a younger / lighter me back then and in a lot better shape as well.

I think it has zero to do with body weight and everything to do with physical fitness / capabilities.

100% individual based. Carry a rifle weight that will to carry it comfortably and 2 shoot it effectively at your intended range.

Last edited:
I agree; lighter is preferred, but not at the expense of accuracy. Physical condition is critical. If you are in good shape, it is a whole lot easier to carry anything. I guide hunters and most can hardly carry their own body when they come to the Wyoming higher elevations. I end up carrying rifles (and everything else) for a few folks every year.

What I do personally depends upon the hunt and terrain,. My dad always taught me to carry my rifle in my hands. That's the absolute best way to protect your rifle and scope. I have seen a lot of falls through the years where scopes and rifles were damaged. And as has been stated, always carry your rifle in your downhill hand. That way, when you fall - and everyone eventually falls in tough country, your rifle is away from the crash and you can put your uphill hand down to "save" yourself.

But in steep country or on long hikes, I slip my rifle into a pack. It is a lot easier to carry it in your pack. I also have one of those rifle covers that I put over the rifle if I'm just hiking to a place to hunt. But that is a matter of preparedness. If you are going to need to shoot quickly, having the rifle in a pack really slows down the process. And as has been said, in really tough country, using trekking poles mandates that the rifle be in a pack.

That's the long answer. The short answer is it depends. Depends upon you, your hunt, the terrain, the rifle and your preferences. Best of luck.