Light Weight Rifle?

ducky

I'm looking to lighten my load so to speak, and have a substantial back pay check coming to me. I would like to buy a light weight rifle, the thing is it can't weigh more tha 5 lbs for the bare rifle. It'll be chambered in .308 Win, I know kind of boring on the chamber but I like it.

My goal is a rifle that weighs 8 lbs or less all up. My current .308 weighs 9 lbs 5 oz all up and here are the specs.

M700 BDL cut and threaded at 18"
Warne Mountain Tech 20 MOA base 30mm low
Night Force SHV 3-10X42
Greyboe Trekker
Trigger Tech trigger
Omega 300 with ASR 3 port brake
Butler Creek Mountain sling
5 rounds of ammunition (150 grain)

So I could get there with my current barreled action if I change out everything, but might as well go custom at that point. Then I ran across the Howa 1500 Superlite at sub 5 lbs and can be found for under $1300, plus it's available. What other factory rifles should I be looking at in the 5 pound or lighter for say under $2500?

I stole a picture of Mike D Texas's rifle with 21" barrel and titanium action

6lbs 2.5oz
9FBCD202-6CA6-43C7-9292-52D9BD11390A.jpeg

I just think you are going to have your work cut out to hit those weight goals

Tikka rifles are too heavy, they were the first place I looked. Kimber was the second, the Mountain Ascent is the only one that will make my goal. Finding a new one is tough, got my eye on a couple used if they last until my back pay comes in.

The last Fieldcraft I saw was over $3K and not a .308. A NULA would have been great if I was smart enough to order it when Melvin was still building rifles. The Backcountry 2.0 TI is about $1K over my budget.

Easiest way to get to my goal weight is not use the suppressor, that'll take a pound right off but I don't want to. However, I could buy a TBAC Ultra 5 and save 8 ounces. I've looked at other optics, but a VX3 3.5-10X40 and Talleys only saves me 9 ounces. A Manners UL saves me around 5 ounces. So buying a Howa or Kimber is the cheapest route and still use my suppressor.

It looks to me like you have a pretty solid rifle that balances weight and performance. Not questioning your motives, but have you tried shooting a rifle in the weight category you are looking at? You may be giving up your consistent long range accuracy and shooting comfort for a few ounces. Super light rifles are touchy and unforgiving even under ideal shooting conditions. I had a .308 Field Craft which I ended up selling and have been personally much happier with a little extra rifle weight. Even when I brought my A game, that was not a rifle I felt comfortable reaching much past 300 yards with. My point is to make sure you are not about to dump a paycheck on something that gives up being good at everything else to be the best at one thing, unless you are 100% confident that is what you want. Then by all means, good luck finding the perfect rifle.