New light weight varmint rifle options??

the claw

First of all, hello all from New Zealand, congratulations on a great site with a wealth of information. This is my first post, and I'm trying to decide on a new rifle and would appreciate some input.

What I would like is a lightweight varmint rifle for carrying about. I currently have a Ruger 10/22 converted to 17hm2, A Ruger VT in 204, and a Rem model 7 in 7mm-08. I am thinking of replacing the 204 with a lighter rifle, but what??? My current thoughts are to buy a Rem 700 SPS and replace the stock, glass bed it and rebarrel (possibly) with a 22-23 inch medium countour barrel. I am also going to fit a supressor (as they are legal for hunting over here). Realistically, my maximum shooting range will be around 500 yards, on game such as rabbits, magpies (crows), wallabies and goats.

Firstly, I have a question about stocks. I would like to get a HS Precision stock (off a Remington), and have seen several for sale on Ebay, however no one is willing to ship to New Zealand. Do any of you guys know of someone who could help me out with this? I can't see any issues with sending a stock over here, but I maybe missing something?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Next, calibre choice. I have had a 22-250 previously and had good results with this. I have been reading about faster twist barrels allowing the use of heavier projectiles, how would this affect lighter 45-55 grain projectiles? BUT, on the other hand, I really like the 204 for its' no recoil and less powder burn... although it limits the size of game and range of shooting such game...

I guess the other option would be a 6mm calibre, although I don't know to much about these (apart from 243 of course).

I'm not reloading currently, however have done in the past with friends gear, and will be getting my own setup soon.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's what I did for a walking varminter.It started out life as a Stevens 200 in 223.The lite 223 barrel shot great from the 40Vmax-69grain SMK.I found a SS lite 204 barrel on the Savage forum and it shoots even better than the 204 flutted bull barrel unit I put together last winter?(bottom unit)
Wasnt sure how I was gona like the stock after I cut it off but it works great off the bipod and is light enough to pack all day.
204savages.jpg

Hi Sam

Its not that difficult to bring in stocks from the states, and even rifles arnt to difficult once you know the process.

I bought a HigTech stock direct from the manufacturer and they shipped it to me, Cost me $350nz landed in nz. its similar the the McMillan Hunters Edge and weighs around 23oz, so trimmed 11oz off my standard wooden Remm 700 stock.

I also imported a Cooper in 204 and it cost me about the same price as a Rem 700 Varmint does here!

I'd definatly do a bit of searching on the larger us gunshops that have web pages. if you find a nice gun, you can buy it by phone/fax and a credit card and have it delivered to a shipping agent in the States who will sort out the export permit.

With the nz$ being so strong at the moment us rifle costs work out pretty cheap.

Give me a pm if you want a bit more info

Cheers

Grant
Tauranga NZ

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.