Light Weight Rifle Build

CoasttoCoast

Hey guys, first time posting here. Ive searched around and found a lot of information, but have a few questions about this build im contemplating: I guess ill list parts I think id like to use, and ask my questions. I want to build a rifle that's sub 6 pounds ready to go (scope, sling, ammo included) chambered in 7mm-08 for mountain hunting.

1. Pierce Titanium Short Action with lightened bolt option, and titanium recoil lug.

I like the Remington 700 actions and this seems like a light weight option. It is pricey, but at 17 oz (action & bolt) is there anything that can beat that as far as weight goes?

2. Kreiger 20 inch 0 contour barrel 7mm hole.

I hear a lot of good things about Kreiger barrels. 20 inch is probably the shortest id want to go on this one because I think that's the best balance between light weight and performance out of the 7mm-08. Would I be killing my self ballistically if I stepped down to 18 inch? My main question is about the 0 contour. I know its super thin, but do I really need anything thicker? My reasoning is I wont be rapid firing this rifle (hopefully 1 shot kills) so I don't think it will get too hot. Also, Im confident that with some hand loads I can produce good groups...

3. Mcmillin Hunters Edge stock blind mag style

They advertise this stock finished at 22-24 oz with a 1/2 inch pad. Id really like something at 20 oz. Is this possible? Ive searched different companies, and they all seem to produce a 22-26 oz stock finished, nothing lighter. Am I missing anything on this or is this stock going to be the lightest I can find? I will pillar and glass bed it.

4. Light weight Trigger Guard

Im thinking either the pierce engineering or the PT&G. I figure this piece will be less than a half oz. would it be worth it to have it skeletonized?

5. Scope Rings

Prolly gonna go with Talley 1 piece on this. Is there a lighter option out there? is it possible to skeletonize these?

6. Scope

Ive looked at Leupold, Zeiss, Nightforce, Swarovski. Ideally id like something under 10 oz for a scope. The only one ive found is the Leupold 2-7x33 or 3-9x33 vx2. Has anyone used this glass before? how good are these scopes? If I up my weight limit to 12 Oz I can step into a Leupold vx3 or even the Swarovski makes a z3 3-9 power scope around 12 oz. Is this an area where I should spend a little extra money and sacrifice a couple oz to get better glass? Id prolly only want to shoot about 500-600 yards with this thing.

7. Trigger - Timney

Gets good reviews, don't know what the weight is either. is this the best option?

8. Mag Well, Spring, and Follower

I know nothing about these. What are the lightest options out there, and can I have them skeletonized?

I plan on making the sling out of paracord, prolly just 1 strand. The rifle will be in the pack most of the time, but when its out id like a sling, I figure this will be light weight and packable. I don't think ill need a muzzle brake either. I think that just about covers it. any help will be greatly appreciated!

I think if you mention your accuracy expectations and intended maximum shooting range you will get some opinions here.

I think if you mention your accuracy expectations and intended maximum shooting range you will get some opinions here.

Sorry, I thought I mentioned it, guess I forgot. I think 500-600 yards would be about as far. its possible id take a farther shot, but I think 5-600 is pretty safe. sub moa for sure as to the precision.

Sorry for the long posts, but thanks anyways

The tikka T3 Lite in your favorite caliber on the low$$ end or a Forbes 24B on the
high$$ end ($1500ish). I spend some time in Cali each year and finding factory
lead-free ammo is very tough, so I hand load my own, you might have to even with a 270 or 30'06.

Most would say just leave a couple pounds of other crap out of your pack :). I understand you want it the way you want it, nothin wrong with that. Seems like you have everything figured. I might go with a jewel trigger rather than a timney although I don't know what either of them weighs. Anything can be skeletonized to an extent, not sure what you would gain with the rings but maybe the mag follower?

Certainly won't need a brake and accuracy would likely be very good with that short barrel. Velocity might suffer somewhat but likely less than you think. I would think you won't have any problem making 600 yards and further.

Leupold makes or made a Lite version of the 3x8 VX11 at 8.5oz I have several of the standard 3x9x40 VX11 and don't feel there is much better for the price. The only thing I would add to these scopes is a finger adjustable turret. The VX-3 2.5X8 is a really good scope.

Leupold makes or made a Lite version of the 3x8 VX11 at 8.5oz I have several of the standard 3x9x40 VX11 and don't feel there is much better for the price. The only thing I would add to these scopes is a finger adjustable turret. The VX-3 2.5X8 is a really good scope.

Leupold definitely has some lightweight options.

vx3 1.75-6x32 10.9 oz
vx3 2.5-8x36 11.4 oz

fx1 4x28 7.5 oz
vx1 2-7x28 8.5 oz

vx2 2-7x28 8.5 oz
vx2 3-8x33 9.3 oz
vx2 3-9x33 CDS 9.8 oz

These would all be great options i think. that vx2 2-7x28 at 8.5 oz is attractive to me. i guess my question about these scopes is, is it worth the bump in weight to jump up to the vx3 glass? i could ask the same question with regards to the swaro z3 3-9, which weighs 12 oz.

I'm shooting a kimber 8400 double a french walnut stock. In 270 wsm, with scope leupold 4.5-14 vx3 boone n crocket reticle. The thing weighs 8 pounds with 4 rounds and scope.trust meim having problems keeping it from hopping around after every shot. I'm currently shooting 600 yard bench restwith it. Factory ammo dosent have much recoil, but my handloads are insane. I'm going to load down and hope I still have accuracy. 6- 14 inch groupsare what I'm getting. This rifle shoots half inch 3shot groups at 100. Barrel heat and light weight realy suckwhen your trying to be precise. I'm even thinking about a muzzle break, because I know it will shoot 2.5-4 inch groups at600 yds. Lightweight is good for out west but not benchrest. The wind was blowing my shots 9 inchesto the right today. I like using a flat shooting caliber compard to the guys using 6mm dasher or 6mm creedmoor. They have to make more adjustments than me to hit the target. But they can shoot fast with the heavy barrels, and not have to worry about heat. 600yards is a long way if you never did it. Good luck with your rifle.

I have got a lightweight 5.5 lb 7-08 and I think you might want to relook your expectations, plans vs money spent. It is a custom rem mohawk 600 with skelontinzed bolt, edge stock and 22" mountain rifle barrel. However, it is only intended for 200-300 yard deer stand rifle.

I would not go below #2 and 22" IF you want 500-600 and that degree of accuracy.

all the skelontizing saves is 3-6 oz. Not a lot of weight savings for a lot of money spent.

I am using a Kahles 3-9x40 with TDS reticle that is super clear and very light but not sure of exact weight. So I would go with the better glass of the Kahles or Swaro vs leupold.

I have got a lightweight 5.5 lb 7-08 and I think you might want to relook your expectations, plans vs money spent. It is a custom rem mohawk 600 with skelontinzed bolt, edge stock and 22" mountain rifle barrel. However, it is only intended for 200-300 yard deer stand rifle.

I would not go below #2 and 22" IF you want 500-600 and that degree of accuracy.

all the skelontizing saves is 3-6 oz. Not a lot of weight savings for a lot of money spent.

I am using a Kahles 3-9x40 with TDS reticle that is super clear and very light but not sure of exact weight. So I would go with the better glass of the Kahles or Swaro vs leupold.

I have been thinking about this a lot, and the 500-600 yard shot would not be the norm. It would be the maximum, that id rarely try to shoot. I have to get the rifle built and practice at that range to see if im even comfortable with the rifle at that distance. 200-400 is a more realistic average. I live and hunt in Nevada so I do have a lot of open country, but I also know my limits and try to get closer when possible.

Try a Kimber Montana or MNT Accent in 708 very much in your weight range and lighter ,and they shoot with no build time wait . I had my Montana re triggered, and re-crowned and fully bedded shoots amazing 6.8LBS loaded with VXII 4-12x40 AO with turret. If you ever want a little more punch get a Lalija barrel as they make a very similar contour to Kimber barrels ,and go 708 AI .

Thanks for the replies. I have thought about just getting a Kimber, Sako, or Tikka, and saving some money, and honestly I think id like to build a custom rifle. I know it costs a lot more to go the custom rout, but I just think that what I wanna do... So my original questions still stand. I appreciate the help and expertise you all have on the parts ive chosen. If anyone has insight on other parts I may not have mentioned, that may suit me better id appreciate that too.

Think you could find a lighter stock, Lonewolf made some light ones,MPI and try to think of another. I built a 26 " 338 NM no tit. 7-2 oz.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.