Light Weight Rifle Build

Think you could find a lighter stock, Lonewolf made some light ones,MPI and try to think of another. I built a 26 " 338 NM no tit. 7-2 oz.

Thanks for the heads up. I sent MPI and Proof Research (bought Lonewolf) emails. I also inquired Proof about their carbon wrapped barrels and how much they weigh. I believe the Kreiger 0 contour barrel will weigh less than 40 oz at 20 inches...

Sounds like your on the right track and will have a real nice light weight mnt rifle the only thing I would suggest would be to go with a 20 inch barrel but have a threaded muzzle break it will make load development and sighting in way more pleasurable then take off test fire and go to the mnts, I wish that I would have put a break on a few light weight rifles I had built. I built a custom model 7 300wsm it was 6.9 scoped and loaded it would shoot 3/4 at 100 but I feel I could have done better with a break I reluctantly sold and put together the same rifle in a 260 that came in at 6.4 ready to go but with a break it was a one hole wonder break made a great differance like shooting a 22. The 300 wore a mc Milan edge and the 260 wore a wildcat light weight but I here really good things about the MPI stocks.

Sounds like your on the right track and will have a real nice light weight mnt rifle the only thing I would suggest would be to go with a 20 inch barrel but have a threaded muzzle break it will make load development and sighting in way more pleasurable then take off test fire and go to the mnts, I wish that I would have put a break on a few light weight rifles I had built. I built a custom model 7 300wsm it was 6.9 scoped and loaded it would shoot 3/4 at 100 but I feel I could have done better with a break I reluctantly sold and put together the same rifle in a 260 that came in at 6.4 ready to go but with a break it was a one hole wonder break made a great differance like shooting a 22. The 300 wore a mc Milan edge and the 260 wore a wildcat light weight but I here really good things about the MPI stocks.

This is a good point, and I may have jumped to my no brake conclusion a little early. I assumed that the 7mm-08 wouldn't have a huge amount of recoil even in a lightweight package. However, ive never shot one in a light weight package so I could be wrong. My current deer rifle is an old rem 700 ADL 7 Mag. It weighs 11 pounds and has a pretty stout recoil. Does anyone have a 7-08 light weight rifle that would mind commenting on the recoil, and if they would rather have a brake installed?

Just weighed my kimber with scope and ammo 7 pounds 11 ounces. That's pretty light for a 24 inch barrel. That shoots 130s @3400fps. And less than half inch groupsat 100 yards with 3 shots. I've seen some light weight rifles at 5.5 pounds that shoot good, but not with the short mags unless they have a break. One guy at my benchrest matchput a brek on his rem 308 and shrunk his group from 8 inches to 4 inches at 600 yards. I want one but from what I hear they chop a inch off your barrel to install the break, is this true? I should have asked him yesterday when I saw him.

I just heard back from MPI and Proof Research:

Proof said the lightest stock they have is their Summit stock which finishes at 22 oz. This would put me in the same boat as the Mcmillin.

MPI said they can do a stock for 16-20 oz depending on which recoil pad I decide to go with. This is exactly the weight range im looking for. Can anyone comment as to the quality of their stocks and work? Id prolly send them the barreled action to have them do the bedding work.

I just talked with a friend that had a custom Kimber built in a 260 ,and he had the light weight MPI stock put on his , he says that they did an incredible job and the stock is awesome he suggested going to them to have one done you won't regret , geese all this gun building stuff makes me want to build another rifle but I got the high eye brow from the MRS when I mentioned it ..LOL

This is a good point, and I may have jumped to my no brake conclusion a little early. I assumed that the 7mm-08 wouldn't have a huge amount of recoil even in a lightweight package. However, ive never shot one in a light weight package so I could be wrong. My current deer rifle is an old rem 700 ADL 7 Mag. It weighs 11 pounds and has a pretty stout recoil. Does anyone have a 7-08 light weight rifle that would mind commenting on the recoil, and if they would rather have a brake installed?

7mm-08 in an ultralight package still doesn't kick much. You won't need a brake unless your recoil-sensative.

I've been shooting an old Ruger 77 MKII ultralight all-weather stainless mountain rifle in 7mm-08 since I was about 12... It has no brake and weighs about 5 lbs with a scope on it. I've never had any issues with recoil being too much.

I don't do much in the way of light weight. I have one rifle set up as a lightweight carry rifle for myself it comes in at 8.2lbs (which is about half the weight of most of what I shoot)
Christiansen arms carbon classic 300win (with brake)
Z3 4-12 Swarovski with the ballistic reticle

I am very confident in this rifle being sub MOA out to 600+ yards I know it's not as light as what some are doing but works great for me

I have a tikka 7mm08 stainless that weighs 7.5 lb with a Zeiss 3.5-10x44. It is sub moa to 600 yd and recoil is not bad at all shooting 120 gr ttsx with 44 gr N150 at 3000 fps. I would not recommend a brake for a 7mm08 hunter. I could shave some weight with a mcmillan gamescout edge and a different scope but I like this setup so well I don't want to change anything.

I understand your desire to build a custom, but there are lots of aftermarket options now for tikka. Low cost, great trigger, no wait time, guaranteed accuracy platform that you can modify or not as you get experience with it.

I have a tikka 7mm08 stainless that weighs 7.5 lb with a Zeiss 3.5-10x44. It is sub moa to 600 yd and recoil is not bad at all shooting 120 gr ttsx with 44 gr N150 at 3000 fps. I would not recommend a brake for a 7mm08 hunter. I could shave some weight with a mcmillan gamescout edge and a different scope but I like this setup so well I don't want to change anything.

I understand your desire to build a custom, but there are lots of aftermarket options now for tikka. Low cost, great trigger, no wait time, guaranteed accuracy platform that you can modify or not as you get experience with it.

Thanks for sharing your experience, I don't think ill be getting a brake. I know I could save a lot of money and prolly be very happy with a tikka, but ive just always wanted a custom rifle, and I think if I purchased a tikka id still want a custom rifle...

So I've been thinking about dropping the length of the barrel to 16.5. I'd save gobbs of weight and still have over 1000 pounds of energy at 500 yards. I. Think it's still enough for deer and smaller size game. What are your thoughts?

Way to short of a barrel at 16.5 inches for 600 yards. If it would be good all the guys I shoot benchrest at 600yards would have them. Stick with 20 at least. I'm not saying short isn't accurate, because short stiff barrels aresome of the most accurate rifles out there. Not for long range precise shots, you want some barrel to burn powder and get velocity. Some cartridges can do well in short barrels. Not trying to rain on your parade either. All benchresters I shoot with have 20 to 28 inch barrels. Some shoot 5 shot 2 inch groups and less on a no wind day. 16.5 inch sporter barrel with a solid rest on a bench will be very tough to hit paper, let alone a mule deer at 550yards.

After reading all the posts here, I will say don't go too short on the barrel, get it fluted instead. If recoil is a problem, put brake on it for the best recoil reduction, and if that isn't enough, put a dead mule in the stock. Both offer noticeable improvements. Just remember that light weight is only an advantage when carrying, never when shooting.

After reading all the posts here, I will say don't go too short on the barrel, get it fluted instead. If recoil is a problem, put brake on it for the best recoil reduction, and if that isn't enough, put a dead mule in the stock. Both offer noticeable improvements. Just remember that light weight is only an advantage when carrying, never when shooting.

I understand I'd be losing a lot of performance, and that a short gun would be hard to handle. Your prolly right tho, if I can't shoot it good, it's useless. I was just thinking that would be an excellent way to shed some weight. And on the flip side, I'd be packing it 99% of the time and shooting it 1%. Too much to contemplate

Does anyone else have experience with a short barrel and taking shots at 500 yards?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.