gunsmith for light weight 700 build?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by coueskiller43, Sep 8, 2012.

1. coueskiller43

coueskiller43 New Member

I have a remington 700 short action that I am looking to have built into a light weight rifle. I want something comparable to a Bansner, Rifles Inc., or Mcwhorter. 5 to 6 pounds. A fluted/ lightened bolt, light contour fluted barrel, and ultralight stock are preferred. 7mm wsm will be the caliber of choice. Does anyone have a good gunsmith in mind?

2. TX mountain hunter

TX mountain hunter Well-Known Member

Clayton smith WTO in Ackerly, TX. Just got a similar conversion back in a 6.5-280AI and my first 2 loads tested were .23" and .35" at 100 yards, basically one ragged hole. Great guy great prices excellent work and quick turnaround.

3. coueskiller43

coueskiller43 New Member

Do you have a pic of that rifle. What was the weight of the rifle when it was finished?

4. Nieko

Nieko Well-Known Member

Any smith from this site can build that rife easily and well.

5. TX mountain hunter

TX mountain hunter Well-Known Member

I don't have a pic of it on a computer anywhere. Completely set up, it weighed at about 9 lbs with the 40mm scope, mounts, rings, sling and rapid pivot system for the bipod to snap in to. I ended up with a 27" barrel & muzzle break. I just painted my old black synthetic rem 700 stock a camo color to look newer and to save money. Total price for everything included in the rebuild (barrel, chambering, bedding, out the door ready to shoot) was around $1100, I believe.