rethread long shank barrel to short shank...?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by daniel brothers, Apr 19, 2013.

1. daniel brothers

daniel brothers Well-Known Member

I bought a used 26" Heavy Bull Barrel Savage LRP 243... long shank barrel...

and want to put it onto my Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP 243...short shank...

What will I need to do, to make it happen...?
    I was told to get a gunsmith to change the long shank to a short shank... what happens here...? Is it rethreaded or what...?

Is there a easy way to have it set up for a quick barrel change out setup..?

thanks so much... sorry for being so ignorant...LOL.

Specifications and Features:
    Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP Left Hand
    .243 Winchester
    22" Carbon steel matte black barrel

2. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

The threaded section is cut off....and the right amount of threads cut onto it and THEN the I.D. has to be re-chambered. Rethreaded onto the action an away you go

3. daniel brothers

Sully... I had no idea what it took to change it.... wow... that means the barrel will be at least two inches shorter.... Hmmmmmm

4. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I'm going to assume you mean large shank and small shank, in that case both are threaded to 20 TPI so the smith would need to just cut the shank to diameter of the small shank major diameter then pick up the original threads if any are left and re thread it with no need to set it back or re chamber.

5. daniel brothers

LOL.... your right... I meant large shank vs small shank.... it's all new to me...LOL.

So your saying all that is needed is the diameter needs to be turned down to a smaller dia and then rethread it...? That sounds better....thanks....Dan

6. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

That's it. Just a re-thread. No re chambering needed.

7. daniel brothers

what kind of cost should I expect from a local gunsmith, without getting ripped off....?

8. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

deleated

9. sambo3006

sambo3006 Well-Known Member

I had the very thing done you are needing done, large shank to small shank Savage barrel. SinArms did it for me. I don't remember the exact price but it was under $100. Any competent gunsmith with a good lathe should be able to do it.