M700 barrel shank size?

ducky

I'm looking at the Lilja RemMtn24 contour for a light weight build. I'm wanting to duplicate the factory shank, and I'm trying to figure out how long my barrel will be at .600"? I read somewhere that's the minimum diameter barrel needed to install a direct thread suppressor, but I don't want to get into SBR territory. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm looking at the Lilja RemMtn24 contour for a light weight build. I'm wanting to duplicate the factory shank, and I'm trying to figure out how long my barrel will be at .600"? I read somewhere that's the minimum diameter barrel needed to install a direct thread suppressor, but I don't want to get into SBR territory. Thanks!

It probably depends on your suppressor and thread but I don't think you have "ideal" muzzle OD for a suppressor thread, in short not ideal to have bulky/heavy suppressor for the barrel length and contour you are considering; barrel need to be stiffer. Hopefully, others will chime in.

I ordered a 27" Lilja sendero contour (.812" at the muzzle) and will be sporting an Eliteiron suppressor.

Elite%20Iron%20Bravo_zpsd5v79h4e.jpg

Good luck!

Ed

I'm looking at the Slincer Co Harvester or TBA Ultra7 they weigh less than 12 ounces compared to the 30 ounces of the suppressor you chose. I'm hoping my barrel will finish between 20-22" with a shank of no longer than 2" and a muzzle diameter of .600", I'm sure my barrel will be plenty stiff enough for that. I may be wrong as this will be my first suppressor as well, but I'm going light because of my barrel contour.

I'm looking at the Slincer Co Harvester or TBA Ultra7 they weigh less than 12 ounces compared to the 30 ounces of the suppressor you chose. I'm hoping my barrel will finish between 20-22" with a shank of no longer than 2" and a muzzle diameter of .600", I'm sure my barrel will be plenty stiff enough for that. I may be wrong as this will be my first suppressor as well, but I'm going light because of my barrel contour.

You did not say you're going with 20-22". Anyways, it would be stiffer at that length than the blueprint length. IIWY, I'd consult with your gunsmith.

I originally was looking at the Harvester 30 but went with Eliteiron instead after seeing how they were built (like a thank) and shooting my buddy's rifle.

[ame]https://youtu.be/qi6_os9-H9E?t=3[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/vvfQn9_2Ac8?t=17[/ame]

If you're talking about where the barrel meets the lug at the action, that would be 1.250" diameter. That's the "shank" of the barrel.

You did not say you're going with 20-22". Anyways, it would be stiffer at that length than the blueprint length. IIWY, I'd consult with your gunsmith.

I'm just researching and I currently don't have a gunsmith in mind for the build to ask. I'm trying to figure out how to calculate how much shank length I'm going to have to play with when the barrel is cut at .600" with this particular contour. So I need to know how to figure barrel length from the first taper to .600", then I'll know how much of that 5.50" shank length I can loose. The blueprint is just of a contoured blank, not a finished barrel. I haven't even ordered a barrel yet, I'm just looking at contours.

Here is the drawing (Liljia's) of the typical finished Remington 700 barrel shank compliments of the Liljia's website.

http://riflebarrels.com/wp-content/uploads/rem_700_thread.pdf

It is 0.885 inches long and is 1.062" diameter with a 16TPI 1.022 thread pitch diameter - this is the Tenon that is threaded into the receiver.

I knew all of that information already, and I guess I poorly worded my question to which is totally my fault. What I want to know is how much of the 1.200" diameter barrel will I have from the recoil lug to the first taper to get a barrel with a .600 diameter muzzle 20-22" long? I suck at this kind of math, I think the barrel tapers .365" per foot over 22.5" from where the taper starts 5.500" from the chamber end, down to .515" at the muzzle end of the blank. I'm just stuck on how to find out how far from the beginning of the taper to .600", once I know that I can get an idea how much fat section of barrel I'll have past the recoil lug.

I'm just researching and I currently don't have a gunsmith in mind for the build to ask. I'm trying to figure out how to calculate how much shank length I'm going to have to play with when the barrel is cut at .600" with this particular contour. So I need to know how to figure barrel length from the first taper to .600", then I'll know how much of that 5.50" shank length I can loose. The blueprint is just of a contoured blank, not a finished barrel. I haven't even ordered a barrel yet, I'm just looking at contours.

I think you're over thinking it. If you want that particular contour, just specify the OD at the muzzle for 20-22" and you'll be OK. When in doubt talk to Dan or his son Carson Lilja directly ... very nice people and easy to deal with.

That barrel blank has a .600" diameter at a length of 19.5 inches. At 22 inches, the diameter will be .575".

That barrel blank has a .600" diameter at a length of 19.5 inches. At 22 inches, the diameter will be .575".

So if I understand correctly that's 19.5+.875=20.375" and that'll leave me with 1.625" of 1.2" diameter barrel to get to 22". I think I can live with that! Thanks Edd, that's what I was looking for.

So if I understand correctly that's 19.5+.875=20.375" and that'll leave me with 1.625" of 1.2" diameter barrel to get to 22". I think I can live with that! Thanks Edd, that's what I was looking for.

You don't understand correctly. The blank, just as it is, will have a diameter of .600" measured 19.5" from the breech end.

Ahh,, well then I don't think that's the blank for me.

We cannot make proper advice/recommendation(s) other than what has been provided, if you cannot provide us with the right information; as you can see with some of the responses. We have lots of members here with tons of experiences that are always willing and able to help but it is hard to guess what you truly want or need.

Your rifle (barrel) must work in harmony with your suppressor to get the best result. Consult with your reputable gunsmith, barrel source, and suppressor source for your project; I did exactly all of these along with custom reamer and reloading dies maker before starting my parts acquisition for my upcoming project. Sorry but I don't think I can make it any simpler than that. lightbulb

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.