Large shank savage barrel

nddodd

Does anyone know if a smith can make a large shank savage barrel that's already threaded for a savage action work on a rem 700 action.

Thanks guys,
Nathan

to the best of my knowledge the large shank savage is 1.120" and the remington should be the same size as a small shank savage 1.055 or 1.060". It could be turned on a lathe and rethreaded but that'll take away .060"s of your barrel and it wont be quite as strong, but real close.

I've never had a large shank Savage barrel in my hands, so most all the post is guessing.

* yes you can rethread the Savage barrel to the Remington thread. Not a lot of work. You can also build a similar setup to the Savage with a barrel nut if you want to try that idea out. The actual O.D. of the barrel (threaded end) should be about 1.120" in diameter, and this is a little small for a shoulder. Still it might work OK in some like a .223. Myself, I'd go ahead and do the barrel nut while I was at it. (Pacnor used to sell the barrel nuts seperate for a remington thread). If you go with a barrel nut you may have to do a slight inleting job on the stock (won't be much), and now's the time to replace the remington recoil lug with a good one from Hollands.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.