Results: Load Development & Accurizing (part 3)

FullCurlHunter

Please see "Results: Load Development & Accurizing (part 1 & 2)" if you have not read these already for the full story.

Results: Load Development & Accurizing (part 3)

7. I was always interested in the ladder system for load development but after reading posts on the form, I decided on using the "Optimal Charge Weight" Load Development. If you are not familiar with this, click here:
http://www.twincityrodandgun.com/PDF files/Dan Newberry - OCW.pdf
So, I posted a question on here recommending a max load for 300 wby mag with H4831 with a 180 gr Accubond (powder and bullet of choice). I found that 83-84 grains was about right. So, I decided to load 4 shots each for 80.0, 80.5, 81.0, 81.5, 82.0, 82.5 and 83.0. I decided to shoot 3 shots each and have a 4th available in case I may have flinched or thought I flinched or some other error.
Needless to say, my Dad and I were impressed with this load development system and what it showed us!
I started with a clean barrel. I taped 7 targets to cardboard and leveled each to the ground using a level. Note that the small black grid over the target shows .5" squares. The outside conditions were less than good. 10-15 mph winds, 60 degrees (which helped the lightweight barrel cool very well actually). the wind was the main variable that was less than controllable.
I was shooting at 100 yards, off a shooting bag in the front and rear. I took 5-10 minutes between shots to allow for adequate cool down. I shot first test shot of 80.0 gr at target 1, 80.5 gr at target 2, 81.0 gr at target 3 and so on up to 83.0 grains. I then went down range and marked the shots with the number 1 indicating the second round. I now did this again for round 2 of all shots and again for round 3. Please note that there is one shot on the 80.0 and 80.5 grain targets that are "X". I basically shot the wrong load at the wrong target. I indicated on the correct targe where these bullets hit with a black dot so I remembered and you can see there. So, don't pay attention to the "X'd" out shots on the two targets as they are incorrect.
Here are my results:
Picture002.jpg

80.0 gr. Target: (Disregard "X'd shot as this is 80.5 gr load and should be on next target as indicated by black dot on next target)
Picture003.jpg

80.5 gr. Target: (Disregard "X'd shot as this is 81.0 gr load and should be on the next target as indicated by black dot on next target)
Picture005.jpg

…..Continued in part 4.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.