New Results: Load Development & Accurizing (part 5)

FullCurlHunter

For the complete history of this post see "Results: Load Development & Accurizing (part 1,2,3 & 4)

Post 4: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/results-load-development-accurizing-part-4-a-34379/

Alright guys, I dont know what is going on. My dad and I loaded up 14 rounds of the 82.0 gr of H4831 as this was the decided "optimal charge weight" load.

I started with a clean barrel and shot 2 burners through the barrel to foul. I then shot a 3 shot group as shown below. One was a flyer as indicated due to another shooter shooting just prior to me squeezing off. The other two are hitting exactly where all of the other 82.00 loads hit in the previous two trips to the range. Probobly 12 shots within an inch...

All is well at 100 yards. Here is the target below.

Picture001-2.jpg

Now, the whole point was to get this sighted in for 200 & 300 yards (the max yardage at our range) as i am heading west for a deer hunt in early November.

So, I let the barrel cool and shot my 7 RUM and 7 RM to make sure my back up rifles were dialed in. They were pretty close so I moved down to 300 yards.

The 300 wby was cool by that point so I adjusted the side parrallax to bring the focal planes into focus. I then shot 3 shots aiming at the upper right black square and to my disappointment the group was terrible...this first group is reflected by shots numberes 1,2 and 3 without the x through the hole. I then shot the 7RUM at the lower left square and the 7 RM at the middle target. You can see the groups if interested. THen after cooling, I went back to the 300 wby and first moved the scope .5" of 2 (1/4" each) clicks at 100 yards. Then I shot 3 more shots and they are indicated by 1,2 and 3 with the x's through the groups while shooting at the upper left black box. I then let the barrel cool again and shot at the center target to see if I was canting the rifle and the those shots are indicated by the circled 2 shots labeled 300 wby.

Picture004-2.jpg

I was very disapointed. How can I go from putting 16 plus shots with 82 grains of H4831 within an inch group at 100 yards and then result in a terrible group like this at 300 yards.

I should note that there was no wind and if there was it was maybe 1-2 mph from left to right. But it was very still yesterday evening.

Now looking at all of my 300 yard groups, they all string to the right...

What would cause this? Will canting cause right hits like this and terrible grouping? I would be happy with a 2"-3" group but definitely not a 6" group. My dad kept telling me that all of these shots will kill a deer but I am a perfectionist and I just dont understand how I can go from a sub 1" group at 100 yards to this at 300 yards...

Could I be canting, my reticles not level, my parrallax be screwed up, was the barrel hot affecting the pressure point.....

My dad is going to load up some more and we are going to go back out and shoot at 300 yards right away from the alread fouled barrel and see how it groups.

Also, I would not recommend putting a dry jag down your barrel without some sort of lubricant, It got stuck and we had to "muscle" it through...can a brass jag damage a stainless steal barrel??? I sure hope not, that would really throw this gun for a loop.

Your opinions are appreciated!!

Thanks.

Well canting can cause problems. I use an anti cant bubble
highresimage.jpg

From your target it looks like you cant one way and then another. There are several different kinds of anti cant bubbles out there but I like this one because it does not look too bad on the scope
DSCN0638.jpg

I also have one of these
microlevel.gif

DSCN0466.jpg

however I would not recommend it on a heavy recoiling rifle because it does reduce eye relief. This one is on a 280AI and I am thinking about moving it to my 6.5 rem mag which recoils less. It does allow you to rectify cant while maintaining the sight picture though.

300 yards is a whole different ball game and it takes practice and refining your equipment more than most shooters realize. When I first started shooting at 300 yards it was a humbling experience but with preparation and practice I am getting much better at it. One of the biggest improvements to my shooting at that range came with ballistic reticles that give an exact aiming point rather than trying to guess how far 6" is above the POI.

What kind of scope are you using?

I shoot the same scope as pictured in you first picture. Zeiss 4.5-14x44mm. What brand is that bubble level on your zeiss. I want to get one. 1" correct?

Also, how do you adjust your parrallax. I have found that the markings on the scope are not correct with distance and bring both focal planes into focus (reticle and target).

Any other thoughts would be great fellas!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.