Kill Results: Load Development & Accurizing (part 5)

FullCurlHunter

For those of you that have followed my series 'Results: Load Development & Accurizing" here is an update from my recent trip out west.

Please check out my previous 4 posts at "Results: Load Development & Accurizing (part 1,2,3 & 4).

My annual hunting trip out west with my father and uncle was interesting to say the least... Summing it up briefly; Blizzard, 46" of snow, 60 mph winds, 7 hour drive took 12, 10' drifts, digging sheep and cows out of snow drifts (still alive after 3 days), digging trucks/fourwheelers/trailers out of snow banks (many times), hundreds of does, a lot of small bucks, walking 10 plus miles/day in snow, tresspassing hunters, a lot of successful long distance shooting 4 does and a nice whitetail buck!

Anyways, here are my results:

I killed 4 does at 327, 424, 448 & 562 yards. (All but 1 were one shot kills, and the doe that took 2 shots would have died if I gave her 5 more seconds. I deemed a quick follow up shot necessary at that range as I couldnt tell where I hit her. both shots were through the lungs!)

I also killed a very nice buck at 320 yards.

I couldnt believe the damage my 180 gr accubond caused out of my 300 wby mag. Below is picture of one of the does I killed (this one at 424 yards). She was quartering away and this was the entrance hole.... Two of the other does had the same results on quartering away shots. Broadside shots were not nearly as big, I believe it could be more of a ripping action as the bullet entered the hide at an angle rather than straight on.

Picture022-1.jpg

WestRiverSD2008Buck.jpg

Picture023-2.jpg

Picture025-1.jpg

My plans for the winter for some further rifle work are as follows:

1. level reticle (I was experiencing some low and left stringing shots so I think it might be my reticle is not level)

2. shave out the pressure point and float the barrel to see if it floats. (I will make a clay molding of the current pressure points so I can replace these if the gun does not shoot as well without)

3. Glass bed the rifle action.

4. Install level on scope tube.

5. Paint the stock either matte brown or olive green with Krylon's ultra matte camo paint.

I also have plans for my abolt 7RM, model 7 7mm-08, sendero 7 RUM and WIN 308...

Fullcurlhunter ,

Glad you had a 'decent' hunt -rough weather for sure.

On a thread at 24hrcampfire a guy had similar results w/ some accubaonds acting like ballistic tips -nosler admitted they had a 'few bad ones' out there.

How did the bullet do after that quartering impact -penetration wise ?

Read the info. at the top of the forum page by Darrel Holland on how to level your scope -best way i've seen yet.

I think you're on the right track by getting rid of the pressure point in the stock -good luck..

Both of the quartering away shots took out the opposite shoulder, complete pass throughs with a nice 2" exit hold. I believe that the bullet stayed together. I just think it was the bullet entering the skin at an angle resulted in a "tear" hole... Broadside shots had a 1" entrance and 2" exit hole.

I dont think this was "bad"... Placement was good and they dropped on the spot and I believe the bullet stayed together.

FCH,

Well that is one fine buck you got yourself. Nice shooting. Gotta like them Weatherby's, when they shoot well.
Was in Wy. myself this year hunted antelope in snow gear and deer in t-shirts. Filled both tags nothing special just a nice goat and 2 1/2 yr. 10 point whitetail last day last hour. Wish we had the weather on our side. I'm sure you did too. Looks and sounds as though you folks had it the opposite of us.

Again nice shooting! Congrats.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.