Replacing my Leupold with Nightforce...

Rustystud

I have a custom built rifle 300 Win Mag that I started off with a Leupold 3.5 X X 50 scope. I use this rifle for long range shooting. It has worn a Leupold 45 X 14 X 50 for the last few years. This past week I got it out and felt the oprics were not as good as I thought they should be. My sons 4.5 X 14 X 40 with a 30mm tube is much brighter than my 4.5 X 14 X 50 with a 1" tube.

I am switching to a Nightforce 5.5 X 22 X 56mm scope. Hope it will be clearer and brighter.
Nat Lambeth

If you want clearer and brighter I would strongly recommend the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 . It will also save you several hundred dollars.

The NF will definatly be brighter and clearer with more definition at long range. What you will also get is the most consistant turret adjustment in the business and a very wide array of helpful reticles. Whether you prefer MOA based or milRad based systems NF has either for you and you will not be dissapointed. If you are purely looking for clearer glass there are several options for you, if you are wanting that glass in a top notch tactical/hunting system then NF and only a few others will give you what you need.

thanks
steve

Just hope you have a lot of money are only one rifle because once you have a night force you are going to want one for every rifle you have. Good luck i love mine

Hmm...well I have had quite a few Leupold MK 4's....and to me, the glass is better then the NightForce scopes.

The NightForce scopes have a blue tinge to them...nothing bad, but it is there. The Leupold's are very bright and clear.

With that being said....the NightForce scopes offer more of what I need/use in a scope.
Broader power range and higher top end magnification then the Leupold's offer. Better target knobs. Better selection of reticles. And are a bit more robust.

I only have NightForce scopes on my long rage rifles, so I am not downing on them. Just pointing out that the upper end Leupold's actually have higher resolution glass then the NF's do.
I am sure you will love your new NF.

Take care,Stan

PS....a few of my rifles with Leupold's and NF scopes and a view through a 5.5x22 NF....you can plainly see the blue hue.

Jeff 300 you were right...

I reomved the 4.5 X 14 X 50 Leupold on Friday and replaced it with the 5.5 X 22 X 56 Nightforce. I bore sighted it by removing the bolt and eye balling the target through the barrel and dialng in the scope. Five shots and AI had it dialed in. I then moved to 100 yards. First five shots were off by about 2 inches. Further dialed in the scope and the next 5 were inside a 1." orange dot and could be covered by a dime. Shooting a 300 Win mag loaded with 78.5grains of H-4831, 215 Federal gold match primer, winchester brass, and Nosler 180 Accubond.

Carreied it hunting that afternoon. Also had my Leica CFR 1600 range finder. I had 16 deer come out from point blank to 325 yards. After dialing them in I could have shot any with a head shot. Light gathering was not a factor. Retical illimination was and will be adjusted down before the next hunt.

I would give the Nightforce 5.5 X 22 x 56 a 10 for clarity and light gathering.

The R1 reticle is fabulous too. I would recommend the Night force scope over the Leupold reticle any day.
Nat

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.