Help with my Nightforce scope

justgoharder

so I mounted my 3.5-15x50 to my rem. sendero using seekings rings and base. Today when i was sighting in with my new toy i had to go 3/4 of the way up with the elevation turret. obviously this isn't going to be good when it come time to dial in that looooong paper shot. right now my zero has the scope with only 28MOA 'UP' remaining.
any ideas?

I have never had this happen with a scope so I'm a little lost.

Maybe i made an error mounting or???

THANKS!

Well first, do you have any pics ? 20 moa base ? Low rings I presume....

Second, what caliber... if 7mm, then 28 MOA should get you past 1200 yards....

Last, what reticle are you using in the scope ?

no pics right now but i'll try and get some up.
it is a 300RUM, the scope is a NP-R1 reticle, flat base 0MOA
thanks for your help

This is the reason most use at least a 20 MOA tapered base inorder to have more verticle adjustment left in the turret after zeroing.....

Running the R1 reticle, why are you worried about dialing anyways ?

Zero at 300 and call it good. Use your reticle for hold unders and overs.

Try to sell your base and buy a 20 MOA. You'll get along with it better.

Let us know or post your pics of your setup.

My guess is you may have mounted the rail reversed?? the rail has to be lower in the muzzle end than on the other side.

so I mounted my 3.5-15x50 to my rem. sendero using seekings rings and base. Today when i was sighting in with my new toy i had to go 3/4 of the way up with the elevation turret. obviously this isn't going to be good when it come time to dial in that looooong paper shot. right now my zero has the scope with only 28MOA 'UP' remaining.
any ideas?

I have never had this happen with a scope so I'm a little lost.

Maybe i made an error mounting or???

THANKS!

Just some things to check:

1: Make sure the base is actually all the way down tight on the receiver. I've seen guys with problems and they thought the base was mounted right but it was cocked and even though the screws were tight it was not mounted right. Will the base sit on the receiver, with no screws tight, and be flush and tight at both ends? Maybe it's not sitting right and when tightened one end or the other is moving up, or down, and causing your problem.

2: Set the gun up tight and solid with something at 100 yards that is marked or indexed so that you can turn your elevation turret through it's full range and verify that it actually works right and that it tracks properly. With the internal vertical adjustment that your scope has it's not even close to being right so you need to check everything.

3: Remember that all factory receivers are not created equal. I had a Rem700 that was way off and it took a 20 moa base to just get it to where I could zero it properly. I also have a Wby in the safe that gives me almost full vertical range adjustment of the Leupold VXIII that's mounted on it, and that's with a standard flat base. You may have a receiver that just has to have a base with built in vertical instead of what you have, 0 moa.

4: What scope did you have on it before and did it mount and react normally?

5: Make sure your rings are mounted right on your base. I had a buddy one time that got his rings cocked and even though he had it tight, he thought, on the base, it still was way way off.

6: If all checks out o.k. then determine how much vertical down you have left when zeroed where you want it. Then determine how much built in base moa elevation you would need and check with Glen and see if you can work out a deal on swapping it for a base that will work and give you all the vertical you can get. Just remember that you don't want to bottom the scope out in either direction with your elevation and windage adjustments.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.