Replacing a Favorite

Which Caliber

• Total voters

Allen Kitts

OK gents, here is my dilemma. I had a 300 PRC setup that I had shooting really nice groups with 199 Grain Hammer bullets. The rifle was a CA, Traverse, Trigger Tech Special Trigger set at 2lbs, Wyatts Box for longer bullets, Nightforce ATACR 5-25 x 56mm Scope, Warne Mountain Tech Rings. This particular rifle shot well under the MOA guarantee that CA gives with the Hammer Hunter bullets. I know a lot of guys on here don't like CA but this one was a keeper. A friend of mine borrowed it for a Buffalo hunt last spring and then an Elk hunt last fall and just fell in love with it and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Now I have tons of ADG Brass and a considerable amount of Berger 215's and no rifle to shoot them out of. My question is do I get another 300 PRC or do I go for a 300 Sherman which I understand utilizes the same brass. For sake of argument I want to stay with being able to utilize the 300 PRC brass that I have as I have about 500 pieces altogether. A factory rifle would be nice but I want at least a 1-8 twist 26" barrel. A custom build is not out of the questions either. Weight is a consideration, but not the determining factor, as this would be more of a specialized rifle for long range shooting/hunting and not for packing around in the mountains. 10-12 lbs max. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

My vote will always be custom.
.300PRC if you want to keep it fairly light would be fine.

Mine is 11# scoped and suppressed. It thumps a bit, but not too bad.
215s @ 2860 w. H1000 right now, but I got up to 3050fps with N570 and no signs of pressure. I will be exploring the 3050fps load for hunting later this fall.

I'd stick to the PRC.
If you planned on hunting with the new gun this season it might be a little late for a semi custom. Although, I think I saw one from R Bros advertised as ready to ship on the forum a few days ago but I think it was a 9 twist.
I'd just build my own if I had time: Zues action, pre-fit barrel etc.