Favorite contour

Gooseblitz

Hey guys I am looking at getting a Lilja barrel on my custom build in a A5.....what size barrel fits in there well but isn't to big. It will be 300RUM and 26-28 inches long.
Looking at the tactical, Palma28, NBRSA Hunter and #7....anyone have a preference for these or other barrel contours from Lilja?

The barrel I used in my last A-5 stock was 30" in length and the diameter was 1.250 for 5" tappered to 1" at the muzzle. You can have Lilja build what ever you need. The A-5, will handle up to a 1.350 muzzle diameter.

W.

Goose

My preference is the Hunter bench rest .

It has a faster taper (.024 per inch insted of .015).
but will only finish to 27'' . This makes for a very
ridged barrel that is not to muzzle heavy.

27'' of barrel is about all you need for the big 300 for all
around performance and manageability with the heavy
barrels.

As Wildcat said Lilja can make you a longer barrel and contour
it how ever you like but I think your on the right track.

Plus if later on you decide to put a muzzel break on , it will
still be under 30'' long,

J E CUSTOM

I like a #7 conture all around , not to heavy but plenty stiff enough to handle 5 shot groups from a bigger mag caliber and not weigh a ton like a MTU or full bull would.

Like JE Custom said their realy isin't that much of a benifit from going to 30" over 27" especialy if weight and portability are issues the velocity loss is mnimal. the only advantage I like about it is if the barrel has a 4-5" shank it can be cut off and rechambered latter with little effort and just about totaly clean up and bad errosion

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.