Favorite Shot!

This one was over 30 years go at a friends house when we were in our teens.

It was in the fall and he had big pond behind his house. Well, my buddy looks out towards the pond to see two ducks floating around in it. He runs into his garage comes back out with an old beat up wooden recurve bow with some wooden arrows and takes a shot at these ducks. He misses short by a country mile. Another buddy of our takes the bow and misses just as bad. I gave them both a bunch of crap for shooting like a couple of blind old ladies. Then my buddy says its my turn. Mind you these ducks are about 150 yards away or more. I take his bow and pull it back as far as it'll go, lean back so the arrow is at a 45 degree to ol' mother earth and let her fly. After about 3-4 seconds we see the arrow drop out of the sky in hit one of the two ducks.

I then calmy hand the bow back to my buddy without cracking a smile as if it's not bid deal. (Inside I was smiling all over.)

Both my friend just about crap their pants. :)

To this day no other shot has ever came close. I'd rather be lucky than good any day.

Rhino Hunter

He misses short by a country mile
I can do that too!!!

The question is, what was "Rhino Hunter" doing hunting ducks??? I'm confused! :D

Great shot Rhino, I bet your friends still tell that story around the camp fire!

Oh....that's easy!

The last shot I made during the President's Hundred Match at Camp Perry, Ohio during the National Matches! I was shooting my M14 Service Rifle and that shot assured me of a 148-12X score to make the President's Hundred!!:D:D

OK here goes, I was sixteen and a passenger riding in my friends mother's '71(?) Pontiac Catalina convertible and he was behind the wheel. In my hands his Red Ryder BB gun as we are rolling down a country road at 45(?)mph with the top down. I hit a bird on the wing that was flying parallel with us as we over took it. The range is a bit foggy as it was 36 years ago and I survived the 70's however not completely intact! If I had to guess now I would say 50-75 ft as I can remember it wasn't a gimme! :) Got a witness so I guess it counts.

About 30 years ago, a friend gave me a coyote pup, which at the time was 3 or 4 months old. Against my better judgement, I kept him in the back yard for a couple of weeks and he became tolerant and accustomed to mee feeding him. One day, as I was picking him up to give him a bath to rid him of ticks, etc., he turned and clamped his teeth on my left arm. I subdued him and with help from my brother, duct taped his muzzle shut and took him out to the silhouette range. There was no one around, so I tethered him to one of the turkey stands and my brother and I then took turns shooting at him from the proper 385 meter distance. At the third shot, I hit him and removed most of his head with my .270, using a Sierra 100 grain HJP. I ended up taking rabies shots for 2 weeks afterwards. Moral of the story and lesson learned: Wild animals need to stay wild. You will never domesticate them. Don't mess with them.

I hit a wild boar with a homemade crossbow at around 80 yards. 80 yards is not that impressive but it was a crossbow that I made myself so I felt pretty good. That was 5 years ago. It went straight through him.

I was spike elk hunting in southern Utah with friends and family. We were spotting for elk and located a herd at about 1 1/2 miles. We hopped on the wheelers and got closer, got prone and followed the walking elk thru the scrub oak, as the only spikes nose hit the 3 foot opening I touched off my 338 rum 250 gn hornady @ 3050 fps, 685 yds thru both front shoulders he was down in 5 feet.

Mine was antelope hunting out here in colorado. We saw a small group of antelope at about 700 yds but at the time that was far outside of the range i could hit one, so we circled back around the other side of a ridge and planned to come up around 300 yds away from them. So we get to exactly where we wanted and went back up over the ridge to find the antelope had circled around too. so quite quickly the 300 yd get prone and wait for the right moment shot became a 60 yd oh s*** they are running full tilt broadside to us. I pulled up my 270 for a quick off hand shot and i used the old shotgun trick of starting by aiming at their hind quarters and following through to in front of it. i pulled off the shot aiming about 6 inches in front of her nose (full tilt for an antelope is aprox. 50mph). the bullet went right through the boiler room and she dropped mid stride.

Young gun, nice shot! I tried one running at 200 yards however unlike you I did not lead it enough. Just grazed it's buttocks! It did make it stop and that was his big mistake as the second shot was as yours.:) Glad I recovered him, I detest wounded game.

I have been thinking about it and I am not sure I have a favorite shot. I am also quite fond of my first long range kill last year. I had just put a rapid z 800 on my tikka 2506 and hadnt even shot it past 200 yet. I had a bedded doe antelope at 760 I shot and missed just high. I thought the error was on my part since I was so close and she ran back to 800 so I put the 800 pin on her and missed again just high. so the third shot she ran back up to 760 and I adjusted the power on my scope a little like Zeiss reccomends and POW right in the kisser!... ok well not in the kisser it was behind the front shoulder but it was awesome it was so much fun she had laid down and was bleeding out but her head was still up so I put one in her neck just to do it. Very fun trip. And another time I shot a prarie dog in the throat at 200 yards with my 17 hmr no wind I just held high not that impressive but I had never shot it past 50 yards but I called the shot to my buddy and the whole rest of the trip his 8 year old cody went on and on about how I was a way better shot than his dad. so That was pretty nice haha! One last one I was hunting rabbits with my 870 12 guage and I had a few slugs in my pocket my buddy told me to try to shoot the rabbit that was sitting there about 75 yards away with a slug. I didnt have the slug barrel all I had was the smooth bore barrel. So I said ok ill aim for the middle and see what happens BOOM rabbit chunks. ... I could go on and on but those stick out to me at the moment.

OK Ill add another one. But this one LUCK had everything to do with it, and skill wasnt even a factor.........
Back in highschool my buddies and I were always playin around with our guns, betting eachother "Betcha cant hit xxxxx" whatever the target was, at some unbeliveable range or angle etc.
Well I was wearing my Colt 22 revolver, and had been trying to hit a squirl or sage rat while practicing my fast draw all day. Who knows how many I missed, but it was a bunch. Needless to say the squirls all ran for cover and I had ammo left, so my buddy said I got a nickle I could stick in a seem of tree bark........ "betcha cant hit it at 20 paces fastdraw"
Well being the young cocky little turd I was, I took him up on it. First try I almost shot my foot off! ******* move. So on my second attempt all I was doing was staring a hole thru the nickle and repeating to myself clear the holster this time you iddiot. I drew and fired all in a blurr, and the nickle whizzed by our heads like an angry hornet!
Ya holy freakin riccochet! It passed close enough to my ear I could feel the wind on my face. Anyhow we found the nickle with the little 22slug stuck in the warped nickle a few yards behind us. We didnt know weather to be more excited that we were alive or that I actually hit it.
Like I said skill wasnt involved at all. (apparently neither was common sense) If I tried to hit a nickle size target (wood this time) Fastdraw, with my Colt again I could go thru 2 bricks of ammo trying, and never even come close. Stupid is as stupid does, but we were lucky dummies that day, and like sooooo many stories we all have, If you lived thru it it was worth braggin about.................. Man Im suprised I ever made it to 34.....

Last edited:
Great Thread Mike!! Very entertaining reading.

Like you, I've got alot of favorites. A very far prarie dog (700 yds). A full out running coyote at around 500 yds. And a full out running deer at about 350 yds..........................http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f84/how-wide-mule-deer-51284/.

(The coyote was a 2nd shot hit, 1st shot was behind him)

But here's another:

Many years ago a friend and I were hunting antelope on public land west of Casper, WY. I had my Ruger heavy barrel 25-06. We were belly crawling and trying to get closer to this buck that was slowly feeding away from us and toward private ground (which we didn't have permission for). But every time we thought we had made some ground, we looked up and he was still the same distance!! I had to try and take him before he got on the private ranch.

This was before the days of range finders and wind meters and ballistic software, but I was so "in tune" with that rifle that I knew where it was shooting out to about 700 yds. I used the antelopes size in the 20X scope to estimate the distance at 500+ yds. I estimated the wind and decided that I would have to hold about 2' to the right. I folded out the bipod and got really settled in. Then, I held a "body depth" above his back and directly above his left rear flank and sent one.

Dropped like a rock!! We started pacing off the distance........ended up with 500 paces, but then we had to turn and cross a creek and go around a cut bank in order to get to the downed buck. We estimated the distance from the buck to the creek at around 50 yds..........so approx 550 yds total. Perfect lung shot! I still don't know why he dropped so fast, because I didn't hit the shoulders or the spine??

But anyway, that's one of mine. My friend still tells this story to other hunters when we all get around the fire at night.

I'm gonna change it up just a bit. A few years ago a buddy and I went out chasing squirrels in a section of Illinois woods we used to rabbit hunt in high school (about 15 years ago). He was carrying a 10/22 and I was sporting my Ruger 17HMR, both had scopes. We still hunted until we came up on several Hickory trees where squirrels were thick cutting tennis ball sized hickory nuts. It was Sept and most of the trees were full of leaves which made spotting them interesting. We had taken several squirrels and we could hear more very high in the trees but couldn't see them (the trees were over 3' in diameter at the base). I was leaning against one of the Hickory trees, looking up at the other ones, and I felt some cuttings hitting all around me. I looked strait up and I saw a hickory nut with a paw on each side. I aimed directly in the center of the nut and squeezed the trigger. I figured the squirrels head was on the other side and the bullet would get there. There was a green mist when the bullet hit the nut and the squirrel just sat there and looked around for a second with a very surprised look. My buddy was watching all this through his scope a few yards away and started laughing. I was able to hold it together long enough to reload and send another one to it's intended target. Granted to was only about a 45 yard shot but it definitely stick out in my mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.