Favorite Caliber

After much thought its a hard decision between the 300 wsm and 7 Rum. Right now the 7 gets the nod, gotta love the speed and bc of the 7mm projectiles launched in front of that much retumbo.

Depends on for what purpose. 22 and 6mm caliber for varmints. 6mm through 308 caliber for deer antelope size stuff, and 338 for anything bigger.

If I had to pick one caliber for all big game hunting with currently available bullets the best choice is 338. I will take any cartridge in that caliber I can build a light carry rifle with. From 338-06imp/338 Gibbs size up to the largest ones off the 378 wby case.

In big game hunting always remember you can always kill anything at any shot angle with a big rifle. But as the caliber gets smaller you begin to be limited. I don't like to be limited.

Fortunately we do not have to make this choice. Get three rifles. A top varminter that is great for plinking. A top deer rifle that is good for plinking. Then get a 338 that is great for killing stuff.

Most anything 30 cal.
Specifically a 300 mag in one variation or another. But I love my ol -06 as well.
Next would be 270 followed by 338. Just seems to me to be the only calibers anyone would ever need for anything in addition to the 22 LR, & a BB gun.
I've had much success with all the above mentioned, so sentimental values on top of success leaves little room for anything else in my personal playbook.

Sorry but I have to list 3 favorites because I cannot single out one of them as "the one"!

6mm Remington: First big-game rifle and I love that cartridge!

30-06: First rifle I purchase for myself and you still cannot go wrong buying one of these! Everyone needs one or two!

.280 Remington: Just a fantastic cartridge that is so terrific!

I like them all depending on what you're going after.

My top three are:
Varmints - 220 Swift 55gr VMAX
Medium size game and varmints - 6mm-284 with 105gr VLD
Large game and long range - 7mm RUM with VLD's

1 of my 6CM's with a 115 DTAC. It is an all around cartridge for me from F/Class, 1000 yard Bench, Varmint, and so on. The barrel life is great and fast flat shooting.

270WSM is mine. 130grn Silver Tip flat puts deer down and I havent had to track one that I shot since 2003 when I bought it. Its definately a head shooter when puttin meat in the Freezer. Fast, flat, accurate.

I have to admit that 30-30 put my 1st buck down at 12 years old. I would say its an all around hard to beat round from 0-200yds.

For me it started with the 30-06, then the 300wsm showed up & I just love it!! There have been many to fall by the .30 cal over the years.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts