remington vs savage

:D

I just set new barrels on two Rem 700's,im not a gunsmith,and Ill put either of them up against your best shooting savage any day at 500+ yards,Id bet you for rifles but I wouldnt want one of em.Sure they are cheap,sure a retarded spider monkey can get the barrel off,sure the trigger looks cool,none of these things are selling points for me.I want an action that doesnt feel like its made out of recycled chew cans when I cycle it,I want a factory trigger that I can tune to my standards with basic tools,I want a rifle that looks as good as it shoots,I want a rifle that has virtually thousands of over the counter parts/barrels/triggers/stocks/ect.ect.I built a barrel vice,I bought a go/no go guage,a couple new barrel lugs and these rifles are every bit as easy to work on as a Savage,if I remember correctly my savage shooting buddy had to buy a barrel wrench before he could rebarell his brand new Savage that grouped 2" at 100 with every kind of hand load and factory ammo we fed it.If Savages were priced as high as a Rem hardly anyone would buy them,thats a fact that Im sure your not willing to admit but its the truth.You get what you pay for,you can stuff a bad *** motor into a 74 Nova,but it will always be a 74 Nova.I dont give a **** what is going to move on todays market,I grew up wih a Rem in my hand and Ive only had one of the almost 100 I have owned let me down (*** semi auto 22 lr 597 ***),why even consider a brand name that just recently decided to pull it s head out and build something even worht considering if you cant afford a Rem 700?Rem has some newer models that they put out for todays market,in hand they feel like crap,they look like s^%$ and they shoot pretty good,just like a Savage.

Hey Nonya, the original poster didn't titled this "Remington vs Savage, what are you most biased for?"

As far as resetting the barrels and Remingtons being just as easy as a Savage. Tell me how easy it is to change the bolt face? Oh yeah, you need machining capability or additional aftermarket bolts with the Remington. I can take a Savage in 300WSM and in 20 minutes I can be shooting a 223, 20 minutes later I can be shooting the 300WSM again. Even the all knowing and powerful Nonya can't do that with a Remington.

As far as betting your Remingtons against all our *** Savages at 500+yds, my Savage based 338 Edge is pretty tough out past 800yds. Even with the horrible 2lb factory trigger and ugly barrel nut. I also have a Rem 700 that is tough out there at long range (with it's $100 aftermarket trigger and $500 aftermarket stock and replacement barrel). I'm not biased, but if we bought a new 700 and a new Savage and shot them against each other, I'd bet my money on the Savage every time.

AJ

Last edited:
I just think this savage is the best out of the box is getting out of hand, i work on savages all the time. my job is in metallurgy, the stainless barrels from savage are poor at best. gummy in the lathe bores out of tolerance bad, I cant beleave they are the best out of the box shooter, not from the ones Ive seen Plus I am looking for rigid in a rifle not looking to change barrels and bolt faces dont like barrel nuts. y is it that bat actions dont have a barrel nut? if I was to biuld a savage the first thing i would do is throw the nut away and put a good barrel on it that sholders up the right way. just the way i look at it.

I have never owned a savage. but I can say to much good for my Remy. I havent evn shot it yet and its been more trouble than any of my other rifles combined. The trigger broke before it even mad it to the range!! I think this is uncommon but still sucked for me. I hope it does perform well. If I was going to buy a new factory rifle, that wasnt an ultra mag, I would probably go with a Savage. I like the Remies better after a litlle lovin, but out of the box i think the Savages are hard to beat. The other thing to look at is a Model 70 all weather (the new one) in 7mm WSM. I think that It is a great package for the $$.

I hafta agree with AJ even if I was always a Remington shooter.
I spent a lot of money to get my 300 win mag model 700 to shoot. Hart barrel, Jewell trigger, Holland stock pillar bedded, and a brake.
My Dad wanted a new rifle so I told him to get a Savage in 7 WSM. He bought it and never shot it. I told him if your not going to shoot it I will, so I set it up put a new Rifle Basix trigger in it and loaded up a short ladder test. Took it to the range and the group was under an inch at 100 yards with six different powder weights. Picked a load and loaded up ten ( 168 VLD with H4831sc ) went to the range and shot a group at 100 that was real small and shot another at 200. The 200 yard group was .455 outside to outside.
This is the smallest group I have ever shot at 200 yards except for my 6mmbr. Stock rifle with no fancy bedding or fancy after market stock, no special $400.00 barrel.
I had the same feelings about Savage as NONYA until I tried this rig out. Never another new Remington for me. Either full on custom Stiller or Lawton high end custom rifle or the cheapo Savage for me from now on.

I have never owned a savage. but I can say to much good for my Remy. I havent evn shot it yet and its been more trouble than any of my other rifles combined. The trigger broke before it even mad it to the range!! I think this is uncommon but still sucked for me. I hope it does perform well. If I was going to buy a new factory rifle, that wasnt an ultra mag, I would probably go with a Savage. I like the Remies better after a litlle lovin, but out of the box i think the Savages are hard to beat. The other thing to look at is a Model 70 all weather (the new one) in 7mm WSM. I think that It is a great package for the $$.

what remmy do you have?

I just think this savage is the best out of the box is getting out of hand, i work on savages all the time. my job is in metallurgy, the stainless barrels from savage are poor at best. gummy in the lathe bores out of tolerance bad, I cant beleave they are the best out of the box shooter, not from the ones Ive seen Plus I am looking for rigid in a rifle not looking to change barrels and bolt faces dont like barrel nuts. y is it that bat actions dont have a barrel nut? if I was to biuld a savage the first thing i would do is throw the nut away and put a good barrel on it that sholders up the right way. just the way i look at it.

You could easily use a barrel nut with a BAT action, mine doesn't. You can also put Savages together w/o them (I know of several). I thought we were discussing complete rifles, specifically Rems and Savages, not super high-end actions.

Have you shot out of the box Savages and Rems? How did you measure the out of tolerance bores? What calibers were out of tolerance? Heavy barrels or light? Stainless only, or the CM too?

thx,
AJ

You could easily use a barrel nut with a BAT action, mine doesn't. You can also put Savages together w/o them (I know of several). I thought we were discussing complete rifles, specifically Rems and Savages, not super high-end actions.

Have you shot out of the box Savages and Rems? How did you measure the out of tolerance bores? What calibers were out of tolerance? Heavy barrels or light? Stainless only, or the CM too?

thx,
AJ

I have shot out of the box savages, didnt see any better preformance then most factory rifles. did however have to replace the extracter after shooting factory ammo. bore talerances was probley the wrong words I should have said straitness checked by a three-dimensional laser tracker system, dont owen it my freind does. and the point i was trying to make with the bat actions was that savage is the only one that i now of that is useing a barrel nut. shoot what you like I just think remington has the over all better rifle. thats were i will leave it. AJ i do how ever respect your opinion. good night.

"Out of these two rifles which is the better out of the box gun"

Define better? Luck of the draw as far as accuracy. The biggest difference starts when you want to improve either one.
If your gonna use a gunsmith the Remington might be a better choice but if your the do-it-yourself type the Savage is a whole lot easier to work on...
The most accurate gun I own is a custom Remington but its the only one in the safe, I like to tinker so there are a few Savages that are not that far behind the high dallar cusom.

The reason i posted this blog was because i am looking to buy a new gun for long range shootin i know i want a 300 wsm. i have a 30 06 savage model 110 adjusted the trigger and it will shoot 1 inch all day. i was thinkin savage but my dad is in love with the remys and is pushing one on me. and i was wondering what people think that hav shot both or one. I WANT TO DRILL DIMES.

I know first hand that they are two great riffles and that is where i am caught up with my choice....

Last edited:
Hey Nonya, the original poster didn't titled this "Remington vs Savage, what are you most biased for?"

As far as resetting the barrels and Remingtons being just as easy as a Savage. Tell me how easy it is to change the bolt face? Oh yeah, you need machining capability or additional aftermarket bolts with the Remington. I can take a Savage in 300WSM and in 20 minutes I can be shooting a 223, 20 minutes later I can be shooting the 300WSM again. Even the all knowing and powerful Nonya can't do that with a Remington.

As far as betting your Remingtons against all our *** Savages at 500+yds, my Savage based 338 Edge is pretty tough out past 800yds. Even with the horrible 2lb factory trigger and ugly barrel nut. I also have a Rem 700 that is tough out there at long range (with it's $100 aftermarket trigger and $500 aftermarket stock and replacement barrel). I'm not biased, but if we bought a new 700 and a new Savage and shot them against each other, I'd bet my money on the Savage every time.

AJ[/quote

He asked for OPINIONS,if you dont agree get over it,dont try to make it personal,we are talking about our personal opinons of rifle manufacturers,not each other.Like I said,its still a 74 NOVA.Your not biased but you would bet on one brand every time?Explain to me how that works.

Back to the topic,if you have the option go with a Rem,use a 700 action and use quality parts,you will never regret it.If you havnt shot one make sure you give them a try,compare the fit and finish,feel and construction,the trigger is just a matter of adjusting it out of the factory setting to match what you like in a trigger pull,there is no need to replace them.If you cant afford to go with a Rem then a savage is a decent platform to use,you will be limited in what you can buy for it,something you will never run into with a 700.Either way make sure and post what you build!gun)

Savage Arms Model 12 Varminter Low Profile

I have the Savage in a Model 12 FVSS 270WSM, all I had to do was change the stock and I have .380 groups with Bergers. I did modify the Accutrigger to get it bellow the 1.5 lb point. I think a guy to use the low profile model 12 with the laminate stock with just a good bedding job.
I think the model 12 would compare to the Sendero.
I also measure as many actions as I could to see how far out I could seat the bullet and still fit the magazine and function and the Savage I could seat out the farthest, if it fits through the bottom port in the action it will cycle through the magazine, so you have the freedom to fit the bullet to the chamber not the magazine.
Out of the group of guys I shoot with there were six new rifles bought and the Savages went 4 for 6 because of out of box accuracy the other two admitted that the my Savage shot better but they had to have a Remington and all they could say was the Savages were ugly.
Find both and shoot them you may not get allong with one. Good luck :D

I don't agree, Nonya.

A factory trigger can be really good, but will never be a Jewell or the like. There's nothing wrong with either action, but the Savage is more versatile. There isn't as many aftermarket things for it, but there is still plenty. Savages generally don't require as much accuracy work do to the floating bolt head, unlike the Remingtons. Either one can shoot well, but you can adjust the Savage's headspace to "perfect" before you ever fire it. I don't consider myself biased either, but I would also put money on the Savage with out of the box accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.