Savage vs Remington

Yeah he suggested new barrel because hitting hard spot with the reamer will chip it or break it. Something about inconsistency in the metal used, anyway he almost retired and builds BR sticks for fun now and only takes orders what he want....

Last edited:
Yeah he suggested new barrel because hitting hard spot with the reamer will chip it or break it. Something about inconsistency in the metal used, anyway he almost retired and builds BR sticks for fun now and only takes orders what he want...
Then I'd send it back to Savage with a report from him and ask for a new one, or just eat it and have a good custom bbl installed.

Yeah he got Pac-Nor ready in 6 mm also he recommends Brux barrel and Bat action instead of Savage...

I know my Savage liked shooting dirty. Looks like you were able to control the flier on the last few groups you showed. I know changing seating depth has always helped me with fliers. But... if you your fed up with the Savage I'll give you a couple hundred for it! ;)

Tank

I know my Savage liked shooting dirty. Looks like you were able to control the flier on the last few groups you showed. I know changing seating depth has always helped me with fliers. But... if you your fed up with the Savage I'll give you a couple hundred for it! ;)

Tank

... and if Tank changes his mind, I'll gladly take it! :cool::):D:rolleyes:

Ed

Have you tried Bergers. Your groups look like bullet/seating depth variables could be effecting your results. The dozen or so Bench rest fanatics at my club all shoot 6BR. With them anything over a half inch at 300 is unacceptable. Just about every one of them shoot Bergers, most are moly. CCI BR primers, and Vitavouri powder. About half of them shoot custom rigs the other half shoot Savages. The Savages seem to keep up with the custom rigs.

Could also be you got a bad riflle. Onr guy at the club had this happen, sent it back, problem fixed. Good luck!

How about I sell you that barrel, so you can have fun with it :D.

For powder I use Varget, so far I tried 29.5, 29.6 and 30 grain loads, for primers I use CCI BR4, bullets I sort them all by ogive and weight , brass its Lapua and have some Norma. This rifle was sent to me with a target, 3 shots grouped 0.3" and it had 2 fliers so group measured 0.634", that's using 105 gr Lapua ammo.

also I think I have to take those pillars out and do proper bedding on it...

savpillar.jpg

savpillar1.jpg

Last edited:
I would leave the pillars in and bed it in Devcon and I bet your problem disappears.
My brother has a 300 win mag that was having sporadic groups and after we bedded it the groups are right around 1/2 moa.

Jinx,
I had the same thing going on in a Sako 75 300 wsm. I would get two to three good groups than a major flier. I messed with it for a year trying everything. Sent it off to Sulli at West Wind Rilfes and the recoil lug and Barrel nuts were loose. He glass bedded it and accurized it for $ 385.00 and Im a happy camper. Dont know if this helps just thought I let you know I had the same thing going on.

I have that feeling that they somehow misaligned because I get better groups without middle action screw, I did bedding on it already and I didn't see any changes, I got its tang free floated as well.

Also there is pressure line forming right at the edge of the neck, its only covers 1/4 of the diameter of the neck, here is just once fired brass formed to my chamber:

6mmnorma15.jpg

got some of that candle soot on it so you can see better what I'm talking about

6mmnorma24.jpg

Last edited:
Whichever way you go, I recommend the 243 (probably my favorite cal), quite a bit more versatility with the 6mm. Between the Remmy & the Savage...:rolleyes: you might as well flip a quarter. Although you can do a rebarrel on the Savage yourself.... which may help you down the road as you were talkin about some custom work.

I have 4 Savages & 3 Remingtons, all do their job & all are great rifles, find the one that fits best & let'er rip.

I'm really curious why you think the 243 is more versatile that the 6mm. Personally, I don't have a 6mm caliber, but if I decided to buy one I like to know others opinions.

Spencer

I'm really curious why you think the 243 is more versatile that the 6mm. Personally, I don't have a 6mm caliber, but if I decided to buy one I like to know others opinions.

Spencer

I was speaking to the versatility of the 6mm bore vs the 22 caliber bore. (particularly the .243 vs the .223). The .243 has more punch w/o delivering a lot more recoil. The .243 (properly loaded) will reach out quite a bit further & do so more accurately (speaking of wind drift). The .243 offers more energy if you are a hunter. With a factory barrel, the .243 can be loaded with bullets as low as 55grns and as high as 105's. The 223 really depends on offered twist rate. Some manufacturers offer a 1-9 but some only offer the 1-12 which limits bullet selection from 36 to 55-60 ish grains.

On the down side, the .243 will burn the barrel quicker. Barrels are consumable, at least where i'm from. The .243 is a little more costly to feed (bullets & powder).

For the most part, it's up to the end user. For the prairie dogger/ plinker, the .223 will do everything they need. For the hunter looking to stretch the cartridge out a bit, the .243 is far superior.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.