Savage vs Remington

This thread is so old I had forgotten the conversation. :D

243 vs 6mm Rem.

Brass Availability:
Winner .243: .243 has multiple manufacturers that make ammo all year long. 6mm only has a few manufacturers that seem to run seasonally.

Brass Quality:
Winner .243 Lapua Brass- 'nuff said:cool:

OAL vs Short Mag Box:
Winner .243 6mm case is longer than the .243 which makes loading long bullets in a short action more difficult.

Feeding From a Detachable Mag:
Winner .243: 308 based case- almost all DBM's are designed around this cartridge.

I Hope that is what we were talking about :rolleyes:

t

You told me exactly what I was wanting to know. I wanted specifically, your reasons. Most people have slightly different reasons for what they want & sometimes their reasons coincide with mine. Other times I learn about reasons I hadn't considered before. The more input I get from those experience about something I'm not experience with, the better I like it. It gives me more choices.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your time.

Spencer

You told me exactly what I was wanting to know. I wanted specifically, your reasons. Most people have slightly different reasons for what they want & sometimes their reasons coincide with mine. Other times I learn about reasons I hadn't considered before. The more input I get from those experience about something I'm not experience with, the better I like it. It gives me more choices.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your time.

Spencer

Your welcome. Oddly enough, I re-read the thread & changed my answer to your question :D I had missread it, or so I thought.

t

I was speaking to the versatility of the 6mm bore vs the 22 caliber bore. (particularly the .243 vs the .223). The .243 has more punch w/o delivering a lot more recoil. The .243 (properly loaded) will reach out quite a bit further & do so more accurately (speaking of wind drift). The .243 offers more energy if you are a hunter. With a factory barrel, the .243 can be loaded with bullets as low as 55grns and as high as 105's. The 223 really depends on offered twist rate. Some manufacturers offer a 1-9 but some only offer the 1-12 which limits bullet selection from 36 to 55-60 ish grains.

On the down side, the .243 will burn the barrel quicker. Barrels are consumable, at least where i'm from. The .243 is a little more costly to feed (bullets & powder).

For the most part, it's up to the end user. For the prairie dogger/ plinker, the .223 will do everything they need. For the hunter looking to stretch the cartridge out a bit, the .243 is far superior.

t

I have often considered a 6mm Remington, but since I have skills most hand loaders don't have, I'd opt to buy 257 Roberts or 7mm Mauser brass, neck it down so it has a thicker wall in the neck so I can ream the bore of the neck, make a special arbor to fit the ID & then turn it to a perfect diameter for the chamber in my rifle with a perfect wall thickness & perfect concentricity from the inside to the outside of the neck. This would give less stretch in the neck area when firing and less when sizing with a modified sizing die. I like long case life along with accuracy. However, before I retired, I had 46 years in the machine shop trade and can make or do almost anything I want, since I have a small machine shop at home. I may never have a 6mm anything, because I'm old and probably won't have enough time to do everything I'd like to do.
My present desire is to have as much fun as possible with a custom Savage LRPV chambered for the 22-250 with the Dual-Port Left Load, Right eject Target action I ordered a few weeks ago. It should arrive in the next 3-5 weeks.

A 6mm something or other would be my next project if I live long enough. I used to want the faster ones like the Ackley Improved calibers, but decided I don't want any barrel burners.
I addition, I have to drive nearly 100 miles round trip to a decent range, which eats into my available time. Being an old fart slows me down some, but it hasn't stopped me yet.

I really enjoy listening to other peoples ideas.

Spencer

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.