Savage vs Remington

I have always had Remington's, but recently I bought a weatherby sub moa and that rifle is amazing as far as accuracy goes. I had read a lot about savage lately also so I bought one in December of last year and I'm also amazed at this rifles accuracy. I'm not sure I would ever buy a new Remington again in fact I only have 1 left in my safe now. Good luck with your decision.

I'm a huge Savage fan. I do own 1 remmy in a mod 7 that shoots well. My Savage has been a great rifle for accuracy and easy to build off of. Give this model some consideration as well as the others:

Savage Arms Firearms > 12 VLP DBM

Savage Arms Firearms > 10 Predator Hunter Brush

Another good option would be the Howa Varminter. Just out of personal preference, I would suggest getting both the Howa and Remmy bedded and trigger work done.

Tank

I am not a fan of any company. I am a fan of a gun that shoots good. In my gun safe i have only one Remington and 6-7 Savages. You be the judge. As for caliber the 243 will be more well rounded and be better at longer ranges however it will cost you more to shoot as well. Just a little trade off i guess.

savage offers more of what your looking for. twist rates are something to seriously consider also. if your going to be shooting 500yds you definatly want the heavier 6mm bullets.
i own a 223 and i dont even use it for prairie dogs at that distance.

as for the cz 527 it was by far my worst experience ever. after 4 months and 3 rifles they reluctantly refunded my money. well almost all, they refused to give credit for the sales tax i paid.
none would shoot under 11/2" after every conceivable load. its a great looking piece of sh-t.

Well, today I decided to give my Savage LRPV a chance, by the way its 6mmBR 1:8 twist, still can't get under 1" using 105 A-Max and 105 gr Barnes Match Burners, but I can post my Rem 700 do 0.25" all day long with 55 gr V-Max, but its 223 ;-)

lrpvtrg11.jpg

Well, today I decided to give my Savage LRPV a chance, by the way its 6mmBR 1:8 twist, still can't get under 1" using 105 A-Max and 105 gr Barnes Match Burners, but I can post my Rem 700 do 0.25" all day long with 55 gr V-Max, but its 223 ;-)

How many beers did you have before you shot those groups? Any Whiskey?

JUST JOKING MAN!

That's an awesome rifle and definitively needs to shoot better. It's possible something easy to fix is doing that.

Is that the dual or single port?

Good luck!

I only had Pink Lemonade when I shot those and baby aspirin usually do when I'm shooting, but now I down 6 pack bud and I'm going for more... Its right bolt left port in BR stock, still don't get it why put BR stock on varmint rifle there are no swivel stud to fix bipod... this thing got to many issues starting with the stock. Somehow, some monkey ran chipped rimer through its chamber so fired brass won't go back unless its inserted exactly the way it was extracted... Then **** fliers, I tried all kind of torque still fliers allover... I already wasted 200 A-Max and 100 Barnes Match burners on it still nothing good... And the firing pin strikes puncturing primers, well I fixed that sucker...

Hey jinx get a finish reamer, run it through there and quit bitching! You could always buy a remington in 6br, oh wait that's 2k from there custom shop and its there cartridge design, lmfao! Good luck buddy!

Well I still have hope, this thing got barrel nut so its a quick fix, just got to order one of these barrels with large shank and I'm ready to go, by the way this was send to me by Savage directly as the replacement for LRP in 260 which I bought in the end of April, then I waited 2 month and decided to call them and they offer me LRPV either 6 BR or 204 Ruger. 204 Ruger is great varmint cartridge but since I had 260 in mind 6BR was better choice... I thought... I still got Lapua Scenar bullets in 6.5 and brass to load 260....

Have Fred at 4D reamers do you up with a 26" McGowen large shank in the same contour in stainless match for 260AI 8 twist, 310 to your door and usually only a 4-5 week wait.

Backwoods, I would, but I don't have lathe to finish my chamber, but I could always buy T handle with finish reamer then it would be the same as the price for another barrel, actually I'm ready to get new one, but since I got in to 6BR I have to decide which caliber :rolleyes: by the way this 6BR sometimes it shoots nice groups, I'll find targets I'll post them , but this groups would never repeat, I had better luck with my TC ICON PH in 308, I could shoot 5 shot group and cover it with a dime, but I sold it....

Last edited:
Well I still have hope, this thing got barrel nut so its a quick fix, just got to order one of these barrels with large shank and I'm ready to go, by the way this was send to me by Savage directly as the replacement for LRP in 260 which I bought in the end of April, then I waited 2 month and decided to call them and they offer me LRPV either 6 BR or 204 Ruger. 204 Ruger is great varmint cartridge but since I had 260 in mind 6BR was better choice... I thought... I still got Lapua Scenar bullets in 6.5 and brass to load 260....
Jinx man I feel for you. Sounds like my family's luck with Chevy's. We went through four of them in the seventies and they were all nothing but duds.

Jinx check and make sure if you already haven't that savage didn't send you a 12 twist instead of an 8. Fred can also put a 6br match chamber in your current barrel if the rest of it is fine for around 70 bucks. Just a thought cause a 6br isn't hard on barrels and should have 2500+ rounds left in it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.