Remington Custom KS Help Please

mrjckelly

I bought a Remington Custom KS in a 7mm STW and cant get better than a 6 inch group at 100yds. I reload and have tried a few different loads and bullet weights. This thing is killing me. Starting to regret my selling of the 7mm Mag and buying this STW. Help me please. Have tried Nosler 140,150 BT and the 160 Accu Bond. Have also tried the Barnes 140. I have used RL22 and IMR 4350.

with 6 inch groups, my bet you have a significant bedding problem or issue with the barrel.

It needs to be borescoped and checked by a smith that knows what tension free bedding is and how to check. Bedding pushing on the action or barrel will show the action moving when you let of tension on the action screws. That will greatly open groups.

If that checks out , I would call remington.

BH

Thanks for the info all help is appreciated greatly. Just really hope I havent spent all this money for a flop or have to spend more to have my rifle fixed.

I am with BH on this one-----you have a problem. So many possibilities it would take a couple of hours to type them all out without seeing the rifle.

Could be something as simple as a bad crown....

Take it to a Good Smith of send it back to Remington—call Carlos Martinez at Remington 336-548-8734 he will take care of you.

I am with the Boss on this one. Call Remington first before you alter the gun in any way. I would not even take the stock off. Don't want any excuses to void the warranty. In fact, I would not disclose that you handload for it. Wait until you have exhausted all resources at Remington, assuming they are uncooperative, and go from there.

necro thread!!

so i also have a remmy 7stw custom ks, bought it new around 1999. i never had much patience for just shooting tight groups (much rather blast water bottles and of course hunt) but remember it being around MOA.

went down to the safe a few weeks ago and was playing with it and noticed it was free floated except for the very front inch or so and really more the left side. well (most likely y'all will say as an idiot) I pulled the barreled action and sanded the front of the stock until i could slide a piece of paper all the way down without any friction.

took it to the range last weekend and it shot WAY worse than i remember. i'm talking all factory ammo, just like in the past. just under 2 moa was the best i could do and some ammo (two varieties of fed premium hunting ammo) was like 3-5moa (5 shot groups). not saying it's not me, but i did shoot this more accurately before and i am definitely well sub-moa with several other rifles out to 600 which is the furthest i measured.

so in hindsight, did i do something REALLY stupid (it looks like i did), and if so, i welcome any and all suggestions. while i realize i f'd this up myself, i'd rather fix it myself than just take it to a shop. also torque settings when putting it back together if anyone has those. super THANKS for helping me dig out of a hole it looks like i dug...

Start with a proven scope and mounts.
yep that hasn't changed, same since i bought the rifle, screws are tight.

after doing more reading, thinking this was intentionally pressure bedded up front and not meant to be fully free-floated. what an idiot!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.