Remington 700 VTR

You should definitely be able to get an idea of accuracy @ 100 yds. tho. I've shot some pretty dang good groups with my .222 Rem and a $89 6-24x Tasco (switched it for a Weaver V24 now tho lol).

52gr A-Max, 34.5gr of Varget, 2.45" COAL. I had one flyer where I flinched. So Now I've got to load up 10 more of these and try again.

4 shot, corrected group is 0.488"

52_amax.jpg

How many shots? How far? My 22-250 loads also tracked horizontally when they were to "hot". I dropped my load by 1 gr and it tightened right up. You would see a decrease in velocity, but as someone on these forums puts it, "I'd rather make a slow hit than a fast miss" lol.

Just tryin' to help out, not be a backseat driver lol.

It was a 5 shot group, but I was counting off the flyer because I know I throwed it. 34.5gr with a 52gr A-Max is about a grain and a half off max. Quickload says Im making around 3375fps with my 20" barrel with that load. Will know for sure in a couple weeks when we get the chrono. I hope to go higher and find accuracy too. But first, Im going to play with seating depth, and see what happens. It bugs me that a .223 can push the same bullet at this speed, but I suppose it does need a 6" longer barrel. I bet my 22-250 would have a nice long life at those speeds though.

I'm currently working with a 22-250. I am loading with 41.0 grns of H380 and 36 and 37 grns of 4064. These are both powders I have on hand. I am going to bench them next week hopefully. I'm using 52grn speers. Hopefully a clear day so that I can chrono my loads while grouping. We'll see what we get. It is a pretty worn out Ruger MK77 w/ 24" barrel.

Well I passed up a 26" Ruger M77 Target in 22-250 to get this VTR. So I hope it dont disappoint me. I love Rugers, and my .300 and .338 MkII's are freaks when it comes to skinny barrel groups.

This is their varmint or target. Not sure, I don't know much about Rugers. Every one that I have shot required trigger work, but they seem to shoot well.

Tank

I'm getting +3300 fps with Varget and CCI BR2 out of a 22-250 with a 26" barrel. Using the 50 fps rule (which is really not that accurate) you should be able to push +3000 fps with the same load out of the VTR. I'll chronograph my .308 VTR and my brother's .308 BDL with a 24" bbl and let you know the difference.

Great ! Great for me anyway. I have 52gr A-Max's shooting consistent 0.4"s. I just havent gotten to do any load work in awhile. Been too cold for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.