Remington 700 VTR

Overkill338

I just picked one up in .22-250. Have not gotten to shoot it yet, but I hope she does well. Looking to use it for paper punching, ground hogs, and maybe yotes later on.

It has a 1 in 14" twist, so I'm going to start with some 50gr Blitzking's, since I am a Sierra fan, but will be trying V-Max's too. I hear H380 is the first powder I should try. Just curious of what kind of velocity you guys think I can get, since the VTR only has 20" of barrel for pressure.

The trigger feels really good on it, for a factory trigger anyway. Can't wait to try it out.

Try Varget, Benchmark and H335 also, if you have the option. At the moment I would recommend Varget. Also, CCI primers and Speer 50 or 52 gr HPs, or Hornady 50 gr V-MAXes. My 22-250 has a 1:12" 26" barrel, and I'm pushing 3450 fps (chronographed @ 70 degrees F) using middle-ground powder charges with a 52gr Speer. Look at your reloading manual, check how long the barrel was on the test firearm, and subtract 50 fps per inch until you reach 20".

Good luck.

The trigger feels really good on it, for a factory trigger anyway. Can't wait to try it out.

Don't try to adjust the trigger! I'm the guy with the .308 win VTR. I tried adjusting mine, and anything lower than the original weight would slam-fire when you toggled the safety on and off. I tried everything I could think of to make it slam-fire (except the safety) and it scared the H**l out of me at the range, it still hit within an 1.5" of the bull though!!! I don't have unshakeable confidence in the trigger anymore lol, it is pretty crisp though.

Probably going to replace it with the 8oz - 1.5lb Rifle Basix K-kit trigger.

Good luck

I got the gun from my uncle, whom had hardly fired it. I cleaned it really well before hand, so that may have hurt my group. Managed to fight the cold air and fire one 5 shot group from it today. All I had was the ammo he gave me with it. Federal 55gr Power Shok soft points.

The trigger really feels good, doesnt seem to have any creep and it breaks clean.

Target

Target_1.jpg

I have some 40gr V-Max's ready to start loading for it. I'm hoping it likes those better.

Were they handloads? If you handload some of your ammo, and you still get these results, check below. It's really not that bad for cheap bullets tho.

Otherwise... It probably sounds stupid, but chances are it's your bullet/powder combo, different bullet or powder will make a difference. Adjusting your COL also could change group size, my .308 VTR has an extremely long throat and the COL is past maximum for best accuracy (one shot at a time), could your's have a long throat? Try lengthening your col, and see what happens. Your twist is a 1:14", I probably wouldn't shoot anything heavier than 55 gr. out of it. I would definitely try the 52gr Speers if you can get your hands on some, both my 22-250 (1:12") and my 220 Swift (1:14") prefer this bullet by far. Both in a moderate load. Have you broken in your barrel yet? My 22-250 took 24 shots of break-in procedure in order to close groups.

Just for kicks, check out my load data for my 22-250, etc. And see if it can give you any hints.
Savage model 12 long range precision

If you can't get any of the 52gr Speers, PM me an I may be able to send some to you. The only problem is, the BC s***s on the Speers, .178. @ 3450 fps, they drop about 2.45" out of my rifle @ 200 yds.

:) Good luck.

Last edited:
They were factory Federal ammo. I have some 40gr V-Max's, Varget and CCI LR primers Im going to load tonight into some new Win brass.

I also have the Lee die set, with the neck sizer, so Im going to neck size my once fired brass too when I start getting it dialed in.

Im going to start with my handloads set 0.010" off the lands and work up a ladder test.

Edit: Checked it with the cleaning rod method with a 40gr V-Max. Distance to lands is 2.545" . My first loads are set at 2.40" coal, with 34gr of Varget behind the 40gr V-Max . Will try them tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spent another day of shooting. Best groups of the day came with neck sized Federal brass (2nd firing), 34gr of Varget and a 40gr V-Max with a COAL of 2.408". The new Winchester brass I have, seems to be complete trash, they dont want to size right at all, and without a lot of trimming inside the neck, they shave the bullets. Some have large nicks in the necks. Those groups were horrible. This brass came from a tiny local shop, and they were CHEAP, so Im thinking they may have been seconds when he got them ?

Anyway, is Winchester normally good brass for the 22-250, or should I go to Norma or Hornady ?

Heres a pic of the target

Target_2.jpg

I used to load winchester brass for my 22-250, and never had a problem thru 5 firings, I did use a VLD chamfer tho, and this will eliminate shaving.

Try stepping up the bullet weight, see what happens. Try those 52 gr Speer.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.