Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 Win

jgreenan

I have been looking into purchasing a sps varmint in 308 for quite some time, but as soon as i am ready to purchase it, i have problems finding it in stock. Anyone know where i can get one for about $510?

Picked up mine last week and took her to the range yesterday. Even with that cheap *** stock(and I do mean cheap), she shoots great with factory ammo. Be persistent and nab one if you can, hopefully it shoots like mine. I ordered a HS PST12 stock that's used on the 700 Police so off comes this *** stock. Dick's couldn't get one in .308 and Gander could so I had to spend more $$ but such is life.

I'm bored so here are some pics(Bushnell Elite 3200 10X w/Mildot & Burris Xtreme Tactical Rings/base). Ammo was cheapo American Eagle 150grain FMJ.

The target pic consists of the 1st 6 rounds fired by me @ 200 yards(skipped 100 entirely). The top 3 started high, adjusted the turrets which makes up for the lone middle shot, and the last 2 were after the final turret adjustments and I couldn't be more pleased. After those shots I was hitting 20oz water filled bottles @ 300 yards like they were nothin'. I took a friend out who was a virgin to shooting and didn't want to bore him with paper so bottles and other targets that deformed were used :)

Groups will surely tighten up when this barrel breaks in, use better ammo and get that HS stock, but even as is I'm very impressed. The scope for $180.00 is excellent. I have Super Snipers on most of my other sticks of death but am leaning towards this Elite now.

AArange5.jpg

AArange1.jpg

AArange14.jpg

sniperVLS, that's good accuracy with that rifle. You must be very pleased.

W.

Considering how crappy the stock is, I'm very pleased. I have never held something so cheap in my life. I tore it all down the day I got it home so I could torque the action screws and such and the stock weighs nothing and is total garbage and that's being generous. The HS stock can't get here soon enough!

SniperVLS, before you buy the H&S Stock, look at the Bell&Carlson Stocks.

Look at the;
Medalist Remington Varmint/Tactical Stock for Short Actions.

They make this stock with adjustable components too. Look at their web page.

My friend bought the SPS in 22-250. He put one of the Medalist stocks on his rifle and it looks and performes awesome.

W.

Its already on order and should be here in another week or so, they had to make me one in OD green. I'll check the B&C stocks, I have before but wasnt familiar with them so I passed. I know what the HS Police stock is as I've used it before so I jumped at that. Maybe I'll try a B & C on my next project :)

The H&S will look and perform well too. I am looking forward to seeing the pictures and hearing how it performs once you put the stock on.

W.

What is the difference between a 700 and a 700 sps. I know the sps has a cheaper stock or at least I think it does but what else is cut to make it cost less?

The SPS models are ADLs with a cheaper stock but as far as I know, the actions and barrels are one in the same. In this case, the SPS Varmint is the same as the 700P or any other of Big Greens varmint/heavy barrelled rifles except for that cheap stock it comes with. I could have gotten a 700P for the same price I'm paying when you add up the cost of the rifle and the HS stock, but I didn't have all 900 upfront and I didn't want the run of the mill black so I decided on going this route. And actually, going this route got me the new trigger which out of the box is very adequate for my needs.

Here's a review of the SpS-V that sheds some light on what it did before they removed the stock and popped an HS on...

remington 700 SPS Varmint

Out of the box it's very respectable, and honestly I'm already pleased with it's performance. Just holding it though, it just feels so cheap and just....wrong. I miss having a palm swell too :)

that's a very nice setup! i was looking into one of these as a good long range deer rifle. now after seeing those groups... i gotta have one! does that bushnell have parallax adjustment?

I have one in .308 and I changed out the stock to a H-S Precision. I have shot .58 MOA @ 300 yards with mine. Very good rifle for the price. I'm happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.