17 remington savage

But how many calibers does the howa come in from the factory
Easy, not enough. There is more and more support for them on the aftermarket side.
The 222 I ended up with was dumb luck. They are missing out with no 204 for sure. The 222 I am convinced would sell if offered.

I hear there are some improvements and better things coming for factory Mini's.

Last edited:
I didn't swap my 527 17 Remington. It was put on an auction site and I let the masses sort out who wanted it.

It brought enough for me to build what I wanted, a heavy 17 Remington. Bought a new Savage rifle for a donor action, ordered a barrel from Shilen, put it in a Choate stock, 20 MOA rail. I am in it for the initial cost of the CZ.

I have my smith/buddy/machinist mentor put a chamfer on all of my aftermarket barrels before we headspace. I will ask him what it is, but it is not much, hardly a curly comes off.

Now I will say some large HP designs can create a great deal of issues feeding.

Tried some Speer huge HP's in the 6BR and they can be a bear.
20 VT with midways brand 20 grain HP will hang up. I was in a hurry and barreled that one at home and did no chamfer cut.
I have zero issues with Vmax and other similar designs.

I have never had an Axis/edge action. I am partial to the old "flat backs". I was under the idea that is what the edge/axis were ?

Easy, not enough. There is more and more support for them on the aftermarket side.

I hear there are some improvements and better things coming for factory Mini's.

The aftermarket for bdl and mag wells has definitely improved, and stockys is definitely pushing available stock options as is bell and carlson.

The early factory dbms from when they first dropped in the USA looked like a high school kids shop project new ones seem more refined on the larger rifles.

I want so badly to support anyone willing to make a scaled down bolt action, was even willing to overlook the blued finish and buy one of the mini carbons. The qc was just awful on the samples I looked at, the stock fitment that was checked off by Stevie wonder and ray Charles were fixable but the bolt slop and wobble wasn't. I'm pulling for them to make it, someone has got to buck the "everything is a 700 clone" trend. Just not pulling enough to put my 1000 dollars on it...

I have never had an Axis/edge action. I am partial to the old "flat backs". I was under the idea that is what the edge/axis were ?

I think the Steven's 200s were the flat back bone stock basic savage clones. The axis were savages foray into budget bolt guns to compete with the RAR, Tikka, 783, and xpr. Mainly stream lined basic entry level gun utilizing modern cnc capabilities. I don't actually know the technical difference, I've got one but never really took the time or cared to spot the differences.

I'm guessing the tennons are the same? Was just curious if maybe a bolt/mag well difference makes it harder to swap vs a 10.

I have an 11 223 I bought for the action for another project. I screwed the 17 barrel on it as well. Its most certainly the barrel, not the action. The axis is a "mid-length" savage. Its essentially the same other but less refined. Bolt heads are the same. Magazines are the same for long or short action. The stocks make the difference in short or long on the axis.

I have an 11 223 I bought for the action for another project. I screwed the 17 barrel on it as well. Its most certainly the barrel, not the action. The axis is a "mid-length" savage. Its essentially the same other but less refined. Bolt heads are the same. Magazines are the same for long or short action. The stocks make the difference in short or long on the axis.
I don't recall for sure what model I used on a couple of builds. I didn't want or need a magazine. Found a fellow that 3D printed some for the round actions. I ended up making a mandrel the same size as the bolt body and put some epoxy putty in there and ran the mandrel in on top of it. Let that set a couple of days, pulled the mandrel and it fed the 17FB with any bullet and would feed an empty as well.

There are some that can explain how to tune a magazine and the lips, I never could get the hang of it. I think the short cases jump out and fall back down to low.

I don't know why the 17R won't feed in the 223, unless it would be a bit long and the angle is wrong on the feed.

Anyone tagged in here, I may have a left over 527 mag some place. I think but not 100% it was a 223.

On another side note, probably no help, I had my AICS 223 out and it would feed a 17R. But in all fairness it is a coned bolt too

It's kind of odd that it doesn't work they're so stinking similar. I've had lots of fidgeting going from light to heave i.e. 7 rem to 375 ruger, or trying to get a 45 raptor blank to feed in a 7-08 action. Some solved with different springs and some work on the feed lips, the raptor still nose dives unless bullets are under the weight I want to shoot.

17 rem has similar body taper, length and overall balance. Seems like a 17 rem is gonna be near as no difference close to a 223 rocking 35 ntx bullets.

Still gonna be interested to see how the chamfer works out. Maybe the tiny bullet is just pinpoint enough it sticks.

I'm thinking maybe you are going too slow and easy. Have you tried to just crank it in there? If the bullet is missing the chamber and catching the back of the barrel then you need to determine if the round is aligned too low or too high. You can get the cartridge to tip up or down by adjusting the magazine lips just slightly. This is not easy to do and you should make very minor adjustments. I tried my 17 Remingtons because of this post(I usually shoot them single shot). Both fed just fine but one CZ the other is Remington. After re-reading this I will try to get a look at the chamber ends to see if they are chamfered.

I took a pretty good look at my two and there is no significant chamfer.
I also checked several barrels factory and custom that I have in the shop and all have a very slight chamfer just enough to remove the very sharp edge definitely not enough to compensate for a misaligned cartridge.
My conclusion is fix your magazine!

Hmmm,revisiting and checking in here. This just occurred to me and may have zero effect with the Savage action.

I had a 17HH 527 and 22 Hornet, both could make me grumble at times. Found by accident instead of feeding with the bolt handle/knob, if I pushed the bolt forward with my thumb it would feed flawlessly every time.
I have visited with others and some already knew this and others claimed to have no issue.

Stay warm folks, a bit brisk today.

Savage magazines are stagger feed, not like a cz. I bought 4 mags to experiment with and Ive bent the feed lips in any and every configuration imaginable to make this gun feed. Its not the magazine. Like I said before, Fred at sharp shooter supply garunteed a chamfer to be the answer for my woes. He says this is extremely common in savages with short rounds. I trust his work, just not his business practices.

Would the follower make any difference of the angle? Maybe use some tape to build up front or rear?

The barrel is in the shop. Im not doing anything until I get the barrel back. Like I said.......the savage guru suggested the chamfer......so thats what Im doing