Remington 700 tight bolt and sticking

SamuelBerryhill308

Hello all I have a remington 700 adl in 30-06 that I've put in a hs stock that I plan on doing a semi custom build with the action soon as all funds are available but I would like to enjoy it as is until then any ways what can I do to fire up and sticking bolt that is real tight at times.if you open or close it slow seems to be when it does it most I'm wondering if I need to re bed the stock and see if that helps or if it's just one of those remington flaws I bought the rifle last year right before remington close down and I don't remember how it was at the time but I'm sure it wasn't until I started shooting it more that I noticed it.any help would be appreciated thanks

I should have specified its toward middle to rear of the action never on lock up.at times its even hard to take bolt out and in right under rear part of action wear scope would mount.ive checked that everything is torque the same and no scope mount screws or action screws are sticking through any were

Yea I've talk to the smith nearest to me and am planning on taking it to him to have work done to it I was just trying to get some shooting done with it and mess with it some till I have all the funds to have it rebarrel and do a dbl conversion done to it.i figure is a cut corner some wear being a factory gun.

Remove the barreled action from the stock, cycle the action, see if problem persists ? Then let us know what happenes. The next step is to remove accessories, rings ,rail cycle the action see if problem persists ? (The first thing is make sure the action rails and bolt are clean and lubed) . It's late and the steps are out of order but you get the idea. This will help isolate the issue or fault by troubleshooting the problem in steps.

As Shortgrass mentioned, with a stock change things perhaps aren't the same. Possibly also check the rear action screw for protrusion. Too long by a hair and bolts will hang on them. Also as he mentioned definitely check action clearances and definitely bed the action. Good luck

I should have specified its toward middle to rear of the action never on lock up.at times its even hard to take bolt out and in right under rear part of action wear scope would mount.ive checked that everything is torque the same and no scope mount screws or action screws are sticking through any were
Loosen all action screws to the stock then try to work the bolt I've had a friend with a Remington 700 in 7mm magnum when the middle screw was tightened the bolt would bind I could not believe how much the action actually flexed and the stock in this situation was not bedded at all

Man, this one is too easy did u have the problem with the original stock? If not u know it's something with the new stock. action screws etc hope it's that easy maybe just a matter of taking a little torque off the screws. new stock may not be as ridged as original so when torque to spec it may flex causing things to bind up