Howa bolt sticking

backcountryguide

Guys the bolt on my Howa .308 Win is sticky as hell after firing. This is happening both after firing a live round and dry firing. Its also shaving a bit of brass off some of my case heads. Ive taken it apart and cleaned it well but its still rough on the up lift. It does not do this if the bolt is cocked only when fired. Any ideas?gun)This is happening on factory rounds as well as my reloads as well as with nothing in the chamber.

Have you removed the firing pin out of the bolt and cleaned it w/ break clean? If you pierced at least one primer it could be inside the bolt and causing all kinds of problems.
Look at the firing pin to see if you see any marks that show rubbing.
To remove the firing pin assembly just twist clockwise and it will pop right out, reverse w/ pressure will install it.
hope this is the answer

Maybe try putting a small amount of grease on the back of the lugs? that usually helps a bit.

How many rounds have you put through it?

Somebody had something similar short time back, and had mounted new scope and screw was rubbing on bolt

Small bit of grease in a couple spots smoothed her up good. Thanks guys

Your welcome - most people forget to give the lugs a little bit of grease, makes them work so much better.

I usually apply a small smear each time I go shooting or at least each time I feel it starting to bind slightly, afterall I don't want to gouge the lugs.

So how do you find the Howa's? I've got one in 22.250 HB and its a bloody rippa, very very accurate with handloads (many .3" groups @ 100m and a few .6" at 200m.

The Howa has been great so far. Using 175gr Berger VLD with 44.5gr of Varget in Winchester brass to get very consitent half minute groups. Im pretty sure I wont buy another Remington.gun)

The Howa has been great so far. Using 175gr Berger VLD with 44.5gr of Varget in Winchester brass to get very consitent half minute groups. Im pretty sure I wont buy another Remington.gun)

Great to hear you are also happy with the Howa Rifles, I'm the same, they are well made, reliable and bloody accurate with good handloads, best money I've ever spent on a firearm.

Yes I won't be buying anything but another Howa after my fantastic results.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.