Remington 700 tight bolt and sticking

I have a 700 ADL in 30-06 in a Boyds stock where the front action screw will prevent the bolt from operation if it is torqued to spec. I haven't gotten around to fixing it because it still shoots great torqued to about 25 in-lb

How can I fix this or am I going have to buy a new stock?
The problem is that the bottom of the action doesn't match the surface in the stock that it contacts. A good bedding job will make both surfaces match exactly and keep the action from bending when you tighten the action screws. Yes! You are actually bending the action when you tighten the screws now. Get it bedded.

Okay so just bed over top of the bedding at the recoil lug and the skim bedding at the rear action screw? I for got to say it was some what bedded already

Okay so just bed over top of the bedding at the recoil lug and the skim bedding at the rear action screw? I for got to say it was some what bedded already
Yup, but I would remove the bedding material down to the block. Then, make sure you roughen the stock bedding block surfaces for good adhesion.
I just saw this thread. As I was reading through it all, my first thought was to loosen just the rear guard screw and try it. But you don't need that. Good Job!

The fact that loosening the rear screw gets rid of the problem, does not in fact actually tell you exactly what part of the stocks is causing the issue, Could be the tang area, or it could be a high spot half way down the action. Could be the bedding block is kacked, could be your mag surround is binding, and a whole bunch of other possibilities. If you aren't sure how to find the bind, high spot, twist spot take it to a good gunsmith. Once you have done it a few times it is pretty easy to figure out, get him to show you what he finds so you get to learn, but till then you can chase your tail and still not find the fix.

It sounds like it wasn't bedded correctly to begin with. Personally, I would sand the old bedding to roughen the entire surface, cut some of the area away for the recoil lug on both the bottom and face and re-bed the entire thing CORRECTLY! There are plenty of videos on the net to watch and learn from.

Notice the bedding pins. Don't beat them out like in the video. loosen them a 1/4 turn after 2 hours. Then when fully cured, unscrew them from the bottom, then remove the barreled action. Also notice the tape around the barrel.

It sounds like it wasn't bedded correctly to begin with. Personally, I would sand the old bedding to roughen the entire surface, cut some of the area away for the recoil lug on both the bottom and face and re-bed the entire thing CORRECTLY! There are plenty of videos on the net to watch and learn from.
It is very possible it is the bedding, but then again it may very well not be. First step, determine exactly what is causing the issue. Next step fix issue. Throwing new bedding etc at a gun with a mag surround or bottom metal problem is both a waste of time and won't fix the problem.
Also, with a bedding block the right answer may be to remove the bedding block then apply glass bedding, or use pillars if you want to retain the bedding block. A bedding block and full glass bedding is a quite poor approach in my experience.

When you get finished, it should look like this.

Attachments

• NEWFROMPHONE 045.jpg
    NEWFROMPHONE 045.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 77
Hello all I have a remington 700 adl in 30-06 that I've put in a hs stock that I plan on doing a semi custom build with the action soon as all funds are available but I would like to enjoy it as is until then any ways what can I do to fire up and sticking bolt that is real tight at times.if you open or close it slow seems to be when it does it most I'm wondering if I need to re bed the stock and see if that helps or if it's just one of those remington flaws I bought the rifle last year right before remington close down and I don't remember how it was at the time but I'm sure it wasn't until I started shooting it more that I noticed it.any help would be appreciated thanks
It's more than likely the rear action screw. To make sure, just loosen or remove it and and see if it's the problem. If so, just lightly grind it down a few thou, reinstall and check it till it's no longer interfering.