remington 700 SPS varmint ...stock's?

tomcat

hi im new here and im geting a rem 700 SPS varmint..in 308 i was told that the stock on the gun is no good and needs upgrades or new stock to get the gun to shoot? what do you all think?

whats a good stock to go with? and where is a good site to get thim?

looking for a stock that is like a rock and will not move... gun)

hi im new here and im geting a rem 700 SPS varmint..in 308 i was told that the stock on the gun is no good and needs upgrades or new stock to get the gun to shoot? what do you all think?

whats a good stock to go with? and where is a good site to get thim?

looking for a stock that is like a rock and will not move... gun)

Shoot the gun first ! I've had several SPS over the years, some shoot great with the factory stock, some don't. I have had to bed two of 'em in order to make 'em consistant. As far as "what's good", that's up to you. I like ACCURATE INNOVATIONS for wood/laminate stocks, and CHOATE for synthetic. I've used almost all stocks available, and these two seem to be as good as any, and better than most, no mater what the cost.

I have the SPS Varminter in a 308. I heard the same thing and replaced the stock with a B&C "light tactical", then had it bedded and the rifle recrowned and my groups went from 1.25"@100 to around .5"@100. Not sure how much was the stock and how much was everything else, but I do love the new stock and it was a MUCH cheaper than a mcmillan and a some less than a HS. Overall I'm very happy with it. Thinking of changing it over to a 260 AI (target/practice shooting) or 6x47 Lapua (varmint)...either way the stock will stay because I like how it feels when I get behind it. Let us know what you decide!

Welcome, tomcat! I have an SPS V in .22-250 and it shoots well out of the box. If I were to upgrade it would be to an H-S Precision; it also has the neat option of a detachable box magazine. Second choice would be the Bell and Carlson Medalist with the full-length aluminum bedding block, and it's a little less $. Try www.stockysstocks.com; sometimes they have certain models on sale.

I bought the sps in 22-250 from Dick's Sporting goods they have a big sale every spring on the varmint specials with a scope on them.I replaced the scope sighted it in, it produces .5 groups @100 with no bedding so I see no problem with them.

I also just bought a Rem 700 VSF in 308, the plastic stock it came with is a complete piece of cheap junk.

I'm looking at swapping for either a Bell & Carlson or a Choate fully adjustable stock.

I removed a 308 adl to a sps bdl stock (no modifying) shaved some off the mag. And blocked the bottom to match the stock. The groups closed up to .5 @100 yards. Very pleased with the change.
The adl stock was a piece of junk! I tried floating and bedding to no avail.

I have an SPS in 204, and it grouped very tight when the rifle was newer. right around .75 consistently at 100 yrds.

But my last trip to the range resulted in large groups in the 1.5"- 2" groups and after investigation I found out the action had became loose inside the stock.

Not sure how it happened or why, but even with the bolts on the action tight, you can still grab the top of the action and wiggle it inside the stock. Im thinking that possibly fromt he factory the bolts were too tight and caused this, cause when I got the rifle I never done anything to it or eve took the barreled action out of the furniture. When it started acting up I finally took it out of the stock, and when trying to get the bolts loose I nearly broke my **** wrist trying to get the bolts free.

So I too am in the market for a new stock. Probably oing to go with a thumbhole boyds laminate of some color. Either the pepper or the sky blue one...

there is a review of your rifle on snipercentral. including groups before and after changing the stock

The Remington I have in 308 5R has the HS stock works great. then the SPS was a different issue with the cheap factory stock. I tried every enhancement to no avail. A friend gave me a new take off in a sporter barrel stock. I put the stock on and of course it did not fit but only about three or four inches from the end of the fore arm. this issue was fixed by clamping that put in a wood vise contured to accept the barrel and tighten down until it snapped on the end of forearm which was a very little crack>unnoticed . then my next step was to put black shafting epoxie on the end of the forearm as if bedding and clamping again for 24 hrs. This was my accuracy fix.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.