Remington 700 SPS Varmint, amazing results!!

matt_3479

Last year around November i decided to go out and get myself a varmint gun that i could use on some coyotes. I picked up a Remington 700 SPS Varmint chambered in a 243. win. Because of weather i never got a real good chance to test the accuracy out and so yesterday i went out to do some real good testing at 100 yards. In the picture the bottom shot was my first shot before making adjustments then the next 3 was my 3 shot group. Kind in mind this is a completely factory gun, no adjustments, with a vortex viper 6.5-20x44mm and factory ammo. 80 Grain federal soft point.

May11004.jpg
[/IMG]
May11003.jpg
[/IMG]

just under half inch from center to center!! am i ever please. Cant wait to reload.

I got my SPS Varmint last year, replaced it stock to B&C, it shoots amazing groups sometimes if I'm up to it they measure 0.24" with my handloads.

It seems like a lot of people write the mass produced 700's off but I've had great luck with the two I own. One is a 223 SPS Varmint and the other is a pencil barrel SPS in 7 mag. They both shoot fantastic with handloads and both have B&C stocks.

Lots of people say the barrels look ugly, but you rarely hear about bad accuracy! I just bedded the stock on my synthetic ADL varmint 308 and it shoots just like that.

Took my Rem 700 SPS for a test to range I'm working on load developing for it, here is 100 yard print. If I didn't get that flier on the right it would be perfect 5 shot group using 55 grain V-Max:

223at1hundred.jpg

then 300 yard, here I didn't dial correctly and only 3 shots fired, this group measured 0.9" from center to center not bad for 300 yards using 52 grain A-Max:

223at3hundred.jpg

I also tried 600 yards but groups start to open up, light bullet have small BC so it shot 4.288"@ 600, there I miscalculate bullet drop so bullets impacted 12" below target... I need one of those calculators for my phone :D doing it by hand sometimes inconsistent.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.