Remingto 700 VArmint at Dicke's

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by bartrak, Dec 12, 2010.

1. bartrak

bartrak Member

I just bought one of the package Rem 700 varmint from Dicke's and the ejector is relly hard to operate and is diging a pretty good hunk out of the case head. Is there any thing i can do to keep it from doing this. I haven't shot the gun yet but the bolt closes hard on the case. I checked the oal of the case it is good even tried bumping the shoulder back a little more but did not help.

2. LewisH

LewisH Well-Known Member

Save the box, and send it back. Sounds like they didn't run the reamer in quite far enough. Have you tried a headspace guage?

Buying guns at big box stores is a bit of a crap shoot.

3. ScottB

ScottB Well-Known Member

Hmmm? Could you explain?? Seems firearms that come from big box stores still have to come from a factory.... Are you saying that the big box stores get lesser quality firearms from a manufacturer because they are a big box store?

I've ordered rifles through my gunsmith that had to be sent back for repair too. Maybe he was on the 'big box store list' too.....

Scott

4. mike33

mike33 Well-Known Member

yea, i was told that wal-mart was direct with remington and got all of there seconds is why they sell them cheap. :D
    mike

5. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

I hope there are no 'seconds' on the market!

6. LewisH

LewisH Well-Known Member

Remington just isn't the Remington of the 80's and earlier. The complaints about their quality control have been legion the last few decades.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if they sold their less well inspected guns to the big box discount stores.