Pillar or Glass? new 700 sps varmint

Brimm

just got a new 243 in a remington 700 sps varmint and have read a lot on needing to free float the barrel(has a factory pressure point built in the stock tip) and I will remove material to float it but.....glass or pillar for the rest?? thanks for the opinions.....

just got a new 243 in a remington 700 sps varmint and have read a lot on needing to free float the barrel(has a factory pressure point built in the stock tip) and I will remove material to float it but.....glass or pillar for the rest?? thanks for the opinions.....

The SPS stocks are not very good so I would recomend shooting it first. If it shoots ok leave
it alone. Sometimes removing the tip pressure will hurt accuracy on sporter weight barrels
so try it first.

The best thing to do is to replace the Tupperware stock with a better one and do a pillar bed
on it (Pillars and a good bedding job).

You can find a good laminate stock for about $150.00 or less that will solve the problem.

J E CUSTOM

Check out my video I posted in this section, it covers how and why to bed the Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.