rem 788 44 mag info please

I have had a 44 mag built want to use it as a treestand, rifle need some help finding good rifle loads . It seems to shoot 240 hp,s pistol ammo well just want a littel more power thanks:)

In the late 1980's there was a guy at the Lima Ohio gunshow that had a 788 in 44 mag on his table priced at $400. That guy and the same rifle were there for a couple of years, I always wondered why that rifle did not sell, other than the fact Ohio is a shotgun only state for deer

My tree stand gun is a S&W 629 Classic loaded with a Nosler 250 gr PT, 21.0 grs H110, W-W case and a CCI mag primer. Pure poison on WT deer. That load should work well in your 788.

JD338

I loaded the Hornady 240gn XTP with 24.0gn of W296 and WLP. OAL: 1.600". Velocity averaged 1304fps in the Taurus revolver I used to own. It very effective on N.C. whitetails. JohnnyK.

I have had a 44 mag built want to use it as a treestand, rifle need some help finding good rifle loads . It seems to shoot 240 hp,s pistol ammo well just want a littel more power thanks:)

I have an entire article on the 788 on .44 Mag by Gene West. It is in the 6th edition of Handloader's Digest. If you will PM me your email address, I will scan it and send it to you.

John

Morning, I have had 3 of these rifles. 240XTP, W296,
CCI mag. large pistol primer. shot deer and hogs with
this load. u have to b very careful loading pistol
ammo. check ever case before pressing bullet.
one mistake scrap metal, justme gbot tum

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.