Rem 700 short action - 7mm-08 build

Those are very nice. A little more than a few hundred. I have a tight budget. Also, this is a hunting rifle for shots no more than 400 - 500 yards, not a precision long range rifle. I am using discounts on the barrel blank and I am getting gunsmithing pro-bono from a fellow Air Force vet. So, in all that, $300 - $600 is the range of the barrel blank I am getting. Just can't afford a blueprinted action.

I get the budget part so I won't try to steer you to a custom action.

I would consider a savage action as a used rifle can be found for much less. PRO, they come with a decent trigger. The con to this is a lack of aftermarket components.

Tikka would be another good option but no money savings.

Mod 700 or clone has infinite aftermarket options.
Is your buddy going to true the action? That's some labor on his part but about half of a blueprint job.

Have you looked for an older mod 700. You can try gunbroker or sights like these but they're really holding their value well since the decline of modern Remington. Pawn shops or small gun shops are a good source for the older action.

Pro's to an older action; better build quality. A better trigger (pre X mark or letter prefix sn) which can be tuned by Neil Jones to very high quality for $75. If you buy a BDL you'll have the mag and floor plate. If it's in decent shape you can use the stock or sell it for +/- $150. If it's really clean the barrel might bring $100.

You'll have to do some searching but deals like above are out there.

So, looking at doing a 7mm-08 build with a Rem 700 action. Looking at actions available for purchase, it is about the same price to buy a Remington SPS rifle and use the action - about $600. Am I missing something?
I used a model 7 action for my 7-08 build and it turned out pretty well. A second one was built on a 700 TI action and it gets used more often. Feed rails on both need some work tho.

The last build I did I found an older 700 at a local pawn shop for $400. That rifle had a timney trigger and an older tasco 3-9x50 scope. Put my remage barrel on and bedded the stock. I was into the whole rifle about $600 and it will shoot .5moa if I do my part.

Those are very nice. A little more than a few hundred. I have a tight budget. Also, this is a hunting rifle for shots no more than 400 - 500 yards, not a precision long range rifle. I am using discounts on the barrel blank and I am getting gunsmithing pro-bono from a fellow Air Force vet. So, in all that, $300 - $600 is the range of the barrel blank I am getting. Just can't afford a blueprinted action.
a trued rem 700 action is as good as any "custom" action for a "hunting" rifle

Look at pacific tool and gauge. A blueprinted 700 action I think is $730

Another route to consider is get a Tikka from Europtic with a military discount for about $100 more than the SPS and gradually upgrade it with a custom stock and eventually a new barrel or two. You can switch it from a short action to long action with a little receiver part and new magazine.

Another option. I have no experience with the Solus, but have seen some people like them. Personally I'd go with the Kelbly Atlas or Zermatt Origin.

If you use a Remmy 700 stay away from all the newer ones. Especially the RR prefix. I spent more having it blueprinted, new recoil lug, and the bad primary extraction issues which resulted in another expense. By the time I was done I was in over a Macbros or the new Aero Solus action. Those actions are way above in quality of a factory remmy action.

I have no experience with these but here's another option.

Thanks everyone. I think I am going with this that was suggested...

The offer $75 off for military, so it is the same cost as the SPS. Keeps me on budget.

Recent Posts