7mm-08ai vs 7mm-08 vs 6.5cm short action

I agree, but like I mentioned earlier this is more of a brush gun for deer and elk, so not really trying to stretch it out.

The 708ai is very intriguing, the only reason I'm considering the 284 is bc I already load for it. I figured if I can run 150-160gr bullets the recoil will be manageable and still have plenty of energy for elk.

Between the 708 and the cm with 140gr, the cm wins. I cannot fit a 162gr eldm hornady into the 708 on SA. So that puts me roughly maxed out at 150gr in the 708. Now if I abandon my build and go w/ a tikka things could get interesting. Again, I like the sounds of the 708ai, but already load for 284.

How hard are 7-08ai dies to come by? Or will I have to have one cut?
How does a 6.5mm Creedmore out do a standard 7mm-08 with 140gr bullets? BC? It sure doesnt with velocity. I thought this was a short range brush gun so who cares about BC. I'm also curious why you can't fit a 162 ELD-M in a short action 7mm-08?

What part of short to mid range makes this only a brush gun?

A 162gr eld's bearing surface at the nck/shoulder junct gives a rough oal over 3".

What part of short to mid range makes this only a brush gun?

A 162gr eld's bearing surface at the nck/shoulder junct gives a rough oal over 3".
OK. The bullet doesn't have to be seated like that....just saying. Also, you are the only one that has to be happy with this rifle. May as well just get what your heart desires which sounds like a 6.5mm Creedmore?

I have SA components and want to build a light rifle. Primary game will be elk and deer, this project started out as a 6.5cm build but I've been entertaining other options that will fit the SA. Then I started looking at others like 6.5x47, 7-08, 7-08ai, 260, 260ai, 284.. etc. I've scratched the 260's and the 284 as they are all better off in a LA, not sure if the AI is worth it, but would like to run slightly heavier bullets than offered in 6.5. The 142gr LRAB looks promising. I'll probably run a 20-24" barrel. Range will be limited by energy and my BDC.

At what point does the 6.5CM start to have diminishing returns regarding bullet weight?

Lapua brass offered in all choices, any advantages to small primer? If offered I'll probably go with it.

Components so far:
700 SA
factory SA bottom metal
PTG bolt
Manners EH1
Talley Rings
Nikon Buckmaster sf 4.5-14x40 bdc

Well, it looks like you have lots of choices.
Plenty of unbiased recommendations and opinions that should give you enough information to pick a cartridge.

Everyone has there favorites so you will just have to wade through the post, and make a decision. There really isn't very much difference in cartridges of the same class, so the game and hunting situation should be the deciding factor based on your equipment/component requirements.

J E CUSTOM

If your worried about recoil screw on a good muzzle brake. I put a vais muzzle brake on a lightweight Limber in .270 WSM. and it feels like a .243. I've killed quite a few elk and I personally feel a 6.5 is light .....unless your 100% sure you get excellent shot placement. I'm in the camp you need to shoot something big enough to break them up and anchor them unless you like long blood trails and packing them out of hell holes. The smallest caliber I've used is a 7mm STW with 168 gr Barnes X . Prefer .300 or .338, but I am old and like bang flops with minimal trailing.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.