260 vs 6.5x55 vs 7mm-08

I don't know anything about Tikkas. But I would choose 6.5x55 over the others, with 140gr bullets, and at least 26" barrel.
For lighter bullets, in 26cal, a little shorter barrel, I'd reach for 6.5x47L.

Opinion only:
Lapua already struck a great balance in 6.5x47L and 123-130gr bullets.
It makes no sense that they would put out the mis-balanced 6.5CM, nor continue with the under powered 260. They should let the 6.5x47L carry the load, winning like mad, while putting out 260AI, -until it takes off like the next rock star!
They should have put out 6Dasher(6br AI) for that matter..

I don't know anything about Tikkas. But I would choose 6.5x55 over the others, with 140gr bullets, and at least 26" barrel.

Opinion only:
It makes no sense that they would put out the mis-balanced 6.5CM, nor continue with the under powered 260. They should let the 6.5x47L carry the load, winning like mad, while putting out 260AI, -until it takes off like the next rock star!

Not trying to hyjack the thread, but can you please explain why you believe the Creed is mis-balanced? Or how the 260 is underpowered even though both out run a 6.5X47? I believe it would be a huge success as popular as the Creed has gotten.

Opinion only:

Yeah I don't understand this either. The Creedmoor is a very effective round that feeds and functions in any short action. If I wanted to build a .260 AI on a Remington action and load 140s near the lands I would either have to single shot it or install a Wyatt's extended mag box. I don't see the .260 AI going anywhere, I'll admit it's a good round but realistically it doesn't do much more than the 6.5 Creed and the 6.5-284 outperforms it. The Creedmoor and standard .260 are very similar in performance and the 6.5x47 is just slightly behind them. The .260 and 6.5 Creed can handle 123-130s very well too and do it faster than the 6.5x47 so I don't see the balancing thing here.

Jud, we don't disagree on much, but if you look at actual tested numbers instead of interwebz conjecture, the .260 AI still outdoes the 6.5 Creed by a fair margin. Not by a ton, but it still remains king of the castle.

According to Travis @ RBros rifles, he tested all the 6.5's, and the .260 AI gets 125 fps gain over the 6.5 Creed, both rifles with 26" barrels and the same 140gr bullets.

I know we're not supposed to really link other forums, but this is relevant to the conversation.

See post #3...

Which 6.5 , so many choices?

And yes, according to his test, the standard .260 Rem and 6.5 CM get identical velocities in identically setup rifles.

And the 6.5x47L is only 50 fps short of the rest...

Jud, we don't disagree on much, but if you look at actual tested numbers instead of interwebz conjecture, the .260 AI still outdoes the 6.5 Creed by a fair margin. Not by a ton, but it still remains king of the castle.

According to Travis @ RBros rifles, he tested all the 6.5's, and the .260 AI gets 125 fps gain over the 6.5 Creed, both rifles with 26" barrels and the same 140gr bullets.

I know we're not supposed to really link other forums, but this is relevant to the conversation.

See post #3...

Which 6.5 , so many choices?

And yes, according to his test, the standard .260 Rem and 6.5 CM get identical velocities in identically setup rifles.

And the 6.5x47L is only 50 fps short of the rest...

I understand the AI outperforms the Creed without a doubt as far as speed. But that 100fps advantage is only giving you 100lbs more energy at 800 yards. According to my ballistics app, with a 140gr ELD-M with a .620 BC and 1200' altitude with standard temp and pressure for the elevation,with the Creed going 2850fps it has 1072 ft lbs and the .260 AI has 1164 ft lbs. That is less than 100 lbs of energy between the two at 800 yards. Yes its a gain, but in reality it's marginal. So in my opinion spending the extra money to have a barrel rechambered to .260 AI and then going through the hassle of fireforming and buying expensive dies is not worth it in this case. I really love the Ackleys, but I believe the OP will be more than happy with a 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creed can also function with bullets loaded way out there in any short action, the same can't be said for the .260 Ackley. I am not a supporter for any cartridge but this is how I see it.

Elk W, if you are serious about the Tikka and 6.5 I would go with the 6.5x55. It will do better with a 22.5" than either the CM or 260rem especially when loaded to equal pressures. The other candidates are great but short barrels handicap them.
I am kind of a 6.5 addict although I do not own the CM or 6.5x47.

The CM with a small rifle primer will be interesting to say the least. It is probably what Hornady should have done to begin with IMO. The 6.5x47 is loaded to higher pressure because of its use of small rifle primers. This may make the CM a less desirable choice for hunting at colder temps as folks will probably have to go with faster burn rates to obtain accuracy. I have heard that Small rifle primers are prone to reduced ignition at lower temps.

If you are not set on 6.5 the 7mm08 will outperform all those mentioned in every statistic except maybe extended long range. The recoil lugs on the Sako's and Tikka's are questionable but do not seem to impact accuracy. The one thing that Sako does really well is refine firearms they have been refining 22.5" bolt action firearms for longer than most have been in business. I do not have a Tikka either but have 2 Sako's and they are just that refined.

The CDL SF that I own in 260 Rem is a great firearm I did a stock change on it and am probably into it for 1500.00 there's a lot of options for change out stocks with Rem 700's.

In any case good luck with your new firearm

Shoot straight

Bob

Elk W, if you are serious about the Tikka and 6.5 I would go with the 6.5x55. It will do better with a 22.5" than either the CM or 260rem especially when loaded to equal pressures. The other candidates are great but short barrels handicap them.
I am kind of a 6.5 addict although I do not own the CM or 6.5x47.

The CM with a small rifle primer will be interesting to say the least. It is probably what Hornady should have done to begin with IMO. The 6.5x47 is loaded to higher pressure because of its use of small rifle primers. This may make the CM a less desirable choice for hunting at colder temps as folks will probably have to go with faster burn rates to obtain accuracy. I have heard that Small rifle primers are prone to reduced ignition at lower temps.

If you are not set on 6.5 the 7mm08 will outperform all those mentioned in every statistic except maybe extended long range. The recoil lugs on the Sako's and Tikka's are questionable but do not seem to impact accuracy. The one thing that Sako does really well is refine firearms they have been refining 22.5" bolt action firearms for longer than most have been in business. I do not have a Tikka either but have 2 Sako's and they are just that refined.

The CDL SF that I own in 260 Rem is a great firearm I did a stock change on it and am probably into it for 1500.00 there's a lot of options for change out stocks with Rem 700's.

In any case good luck with your new firearm

Shoot straight

Bob

Thanks for the help BOB. As it turns out, I am unable to find the Tikka model stainless that I want in the 6.5x55. SO as luck would have it, I have almost made my mind up to just do the 7MM-08. I have been studying the 7MM-08 all night and am leaning VERY heavy that way. I am also leaning Tikka over Remington as of now, but that could change I guess. I really like the looks of the CDL...SF.....lol
I have all but decided against building a rifle. I want all my rifles to feel similar and cannot afford to build four of them. It will probably be Tikka or Remington for sure and just re-stock them.
With Tikka I can do everything I need with 223, 243, 7mm-08, and 300wsm.
In Remington I can do 223, 243, 7mm-08 and 35whelen........Boy am I a fan of the whelen!!! LOL

I understand the AI outperforms the Creed without a doubt as far as speed. But that 100fps advantage is only giving you 100lbs more energy at 800 yards. According to my ballistics app, with a 140gr ELD-M with a .620 BC and 1200' altitude with standard temp and pressure for the elevation,with the Creed going 2850fps it has 1072 ft lbs and the .260 AI has 1164 ft lbs. That is less than 100 lbs of energy between the two at 800 yards. Yes its a gain, but in reality it's marginal. So in my opinion spending the extra money to have a barrel rechambered to .260 AI and then going through the hassle of fireforming and buying expensive dies is not worth it in this case. I really love the Ackleys, but I believe the OP will be more than happy with a 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creed can also function with bullets loaded way out there in any short action, the same can't be said for the .260 Ackley. I am not a supporter for any cartridge but this is how I see it.

Fireforming is not really a hassle when you consider that in a milder-form you are actually doing the same thing with new brass vs. fired brass that has been resized. So it's really not so much of a hassle as it is a necessary evil...You just have to prep the brass slightly differently.

Thanks for the help BOB. As it turns out, I am unable to find the Tikka model stainless that I want in the 6.5x55. SO as luck would have it, I have almost made my mind up to just do the 7MM-08. I have been studying the 7MM-08 all night and am leaning VERY heavy that way. I am also leaning Tikka over Remington as of now, but that could change I guess. I really like the looks of the CDL...SF.....lol
I have all but decided against building a rifle. I want all my rifles to feel similar and cannot afford to build four of them. It will probably be Tikka or Remington for sure and just re-stock them.
In Remington I can do 223, 243, 7mm-08 and 35whelen........Boy am I a fan of the whelen!!! LOL

If you like the looks of the Remington than go that way. You take a chance with any factory rifle. I have 3 Remingtons and only one of them has been finicky and that is my .300 Win Mag but I have found very accurate loads for it nonetheless. My .243 and .270 are great rifles and shoot awesome. It is your money and you can spend it how you please, but I would be getting a Remington. The nice thing about the Model 700 is the aftermarket. Heck now you can even rebarrel one on your own without a lathe if you use the barrel nut like found on a Savage.

Have you considered other rifles? Browning makes a very nice rifle and I have seen a lot of those that are tack drivers.

Also, you do not necessarily need four rifles. I can get away with two if that's all I had. If I was in your shoes, I would do a 6mm or 6.5 of some kind and then a magnum like a 7mm Rem Mag or .300 Winchester. You can do everything from varmint hunting to long range deer hunting with a mild 6mm or 6.5 such as a .243 or 6.5 Creedmoor. If you plan on big game hunting you have the magnum where you can either load high BC bullets for long range shots or a heavily constructed slug for close range shots on big game like bear and moose.

The CDL SF I own is a pretty sweet deer rifle. The trigger is good the wood stock is pretty lame. I almost bought one in 7mm08 myself a couple of times been waiting for the 25-06. I don't know about the Whelan in CDL SF I was shocked when Remington came out with it this year. Have not seen many reviews but I think the 338-06 is probably a better option.

Shoot straight

Bob

Guess it all makes sense after a while doesn't it. The CDLs are beautiful rifles. Almost walked out the door with a 30-06 version one day myself.

Bedding it in a synthetic stock and saving the wood stock would be a good way to go.

Anyway Bud's has one in 7mm-08. I have bought from them 5 times and have always been happy with the deal. Where I live most "dealers" are only concerned with their margin, jerk you around, and can't find a thing until they get they price "they" want. I've just said the heck with them and buy from Bud's. You just need to find a FFL who will accept the shipment. Where I live a lot of the box stores won't do it cause they feel it cuts into their business. They used to do it before Sandy Hook though...

Good Luck and shot us the targets.

Anyway check this out: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/41890

Guess it all makes sense after a while doesn't it. The CDLs are beautiful rifles. Almost walked out the door with a 30-06 version one day myself.

Bedding it in a synthetic stock and saving the wood stock would be a good way to go.

Anyway Bud's has one in 7mm-08. I have bought from them 5 times and have always been happy with the deal. Where I live most "dealers" are only concerned with their margin, jerk you around, and can't find a thing until they get they price "they" want. I've just said the heck with them and buy from Bud's. You just need to find a FFL who will accept the shipment. Where I live a lot of the box stores won't do it cause they feel it cuts into their business. They used to do it before Sandy Hook though...

Good Luck and shot us the targets.

Anyway check this out: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/41890

Thanks Barrelnut.....I buy most of my guns online and have them shipped. I have a VERY reputable dealer out of Minnesota that will match ANYONES prices and then ship them to a local guy that charges me 25.00 for the transfer fee.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.