7mm-08ai vs 7mm-08 vs 6.5cm short action

ohiohunter

I have SA components and want to build a light rifle. Primary game will be elk and deer, this project started out as a 6.5cm build but I've been entertaining other options that will fit the SA. Then I started looking at others like 6.5x47, 7-08, 7-08ai, 260, 260ai, 284.. etc. I've scratched the 260's and the 284 as they are all better off in a LA, not sure if the AI is worth it, but would like to run slightly heavier bullets than offered in 6.5. The 142gr LRAB looks promising. I'll probably run a 20-24" barrel. Range will be limited by energy and my BDC.

At what point does the 6.5CM start to have diminishing returns regarding bullet weight?

Lapua brass offered in all choices, any advantages to small primer? If offered I'll probably go with it.

Components so far:
700 SA
factory SA bottom metal
PTG bolt
Manners EH1
Talley Rings
Nikon Buckmaster sf 4.5-14x40 bdc

Out of those three choices, I would go 7mm-08 Ackley but only if you intend to primarily reload for it. 7mm-08 if you want to shoot factory ammo for the most part. I'm not following why 6.5mm Creedmore is on your list if you want to shoot heavier bullets than what is available in 6.5mm? 6.5 Creedmore is also too trendy for me personally but I can't say that it's a bad choice.

For hunting ranges, I think the creed starts to have diminishing returns past 130 gr range. 130eldm are slippery enough the additional 150 fps shows up. That said I really like mine. Super easy to make accurate and you won't fight with ur coal. 7mm-08 could be a pain like the 260 if ur slinging heavy bullets. Ultimately you have to get what u want

Well, manf keep putting out new heavier 6.5 bullets 150-160gr and that would be about my limit for a 7-08 in a SA. My thought is a 6.5cm w/ a 1:7.5 will leave me in good standing when/if a 150gr hunting bullet hits the market. I think the CM holds its own in a SA. None the less what do I give up to a 7-08 running 160gr compared to the 6.5 running 142's or heavier? BC favors the 6.5

Everything I've read about the 7-08ai is conflicting, some love it some say it wasn't worth it, and how much will I start to crowd my SA w/ the AI? I've read its a touch longer.

EDIT. CANhunter, I've read some of the same issues w/ the 708 sometimes being finicky. I'm gonna have to look at some charts on the CM regarding bullet weight, energy, drift... etc. Not a chance I'll be shooting anything less than a 140gr pill in any of the above.

What if I only loaded 140-150gr bullets in the 284win? How well would that compare and how well will it fit a SA? I already load for 284.

Last edited:
I guess I'm slightly confused by your meaning or diminishing returns. The 6.5 cm is at its best with 140+ grain bullets. Sierra lists their 150 in the cm at 2800. I've personally ran 140s over 3000fps with rl-26.

Regarding it vs the 7mm-08, it's a wash IMO. Either one is great. I love both 6.5mm and 7mms. I'm not sure how well a 7mm-08 is going to fit in a SA with high BC bullets. Could be a pain

I guess I'm slightly confused by your meaning or diminishing returns. The 6.5 cm is at its best with 140+ grain bullets. Sierra lists their 150 in the cm at 2800. I've personally ran 140s over 3000fps with rl-26.

Regarding it vs the 7mm-08, it's a wash IMO. Either one is great. I love both 6.5mm and 7mms. I'm not sure how well a 7mm-08 is going to fit in a SA with high BC bullets. Could be a pain

Basically at what point does it become a dog. The 708 should handle 168 vld's in a SA, thats prob about the max, not so sure this heavy of a bullet would be beneficial in the 708

** I'll most likely run hodgdon powder.

Last edited:
I have not jumped on the bandwagon yet so I will admit I don't have 6.5 creedmoor experience but I run a 260ai out of a SA without feeling like I am leaving anything on the table. If the reamer is speced accordingly you would be fine. I personally just run 130s at mag length because they just print tight groups. The 140 class still does great but I don't need the extra wind bucking and would rather the extra speed for my shooting.

I think if you thinking about playing with 150's the creedmoor is not the right choice. Again this is just my limited experience but I don't think the creedmoor will have enough snot with the 150 for large game. And given your choices you settled on I would go 7mmAI. But stick to the 140-162 class. I dont think the case is suited for the heavies. I built a 284 for my 7mm.

Nick

none of the above will out shoot a 6.5x55 improved or a necked up (7mm or 30 caliber) 6.5x55 improved. Might also think about a 7mm WSM or 270WSM
gary

Have u tried rl26 behind a 130? My creed likes the 130s about 150fps faster than the 143eldx with H4350. I don't think I'm getting to the next node or something with the 143s? Haven't found any rl26 yet

If a wildcat, with brass soon to be available, is a consideration, the 6
5 and 7ss will beat them all by a wide margin and do it in a true short action.

I've been intrigued w/ the SS line from the beginning. What kind of brass? All of the above are available in Lapua. I'd also have to open up my bolt for the magnum case right? What kind of recoil would I be looking at in a 20-24" tube without a brake?

none of the above will out shoot a 6.5x55 improved or a necked up (7mm or 30 caliber) 6.5x55 improved. Might also think about a 7mm WSM or 270WSM
gary
6.5x55 Improved, while neat....doesnt fit into a short action very well. With the Sherman Shorts, I believe that you are looking at magnum class recoil? That's a bit subjective though.

gary

Will the 6.5x55 fit a SA with 140's+??

Yeah, I didn't think so. I also have a standard bolt face to work with.

The ss recoil is very manageable without a brake. The brass will be ADG. Shawn Carlock at Defensive edge says his is as good as Lapua "or better"!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.