Need info on building a rem 700 short action

Weblake

I'm new to the long range shooting and I am wanting to have my 700 short action built into a good varmint gun. It is a 22-250 right now. I'm wondering if I should stick with that or build another caliber. Any info would be great.

You could always rebarrel to a 22-250AI with a tight twist for shooting the heavies. Something in 6mm would be a good option also. Since you already have the brass for the 22-250, I would stick with that.

Tank

The best 6mm right now is the 6mmBR Norma. Savage, Cooper and others chamber for it, and factory ammo is available from Norma and Lapua. I have two custom 6BR's and one factory Cooper. All shoot extremly well. And, recoil is nearly non-existent.

Is one barrel any better than another or is all a matter of opinion. And what contour would be the best. I think Im going to go with the 6.5x47 lap.

I'm new to the long range shooting and I am wanting to have my 700 short action built into a good varmint gun. It is a 22-250 right now. I'm wondering if I should stick with that or build another caliber. Any info would be great.

Before you go burning powder in a varmint gun can I ask what it it would be used for? and at what distance? Don't over look the .204R for a good VARMINT round. The .243 offers a huge selection of loaded ammo for varmints to coyotes and deer. I love to hit PD's at sick distances with my 6mm-06 with a 88gr Berger but it does not have the same effect on me as shooting my 20 Prac within 500 yards and watching the PD EXPLODE in my scope. :D To me... that is what varmint shooting is all about!

Jon

6.5x47 is a great high volume round, i don't think there is much of a selection of factory ammo thou.
my favourite varminter is a 700 chambered in 6x47 lapua shooting 108 berger's. a good mix of ballistics and barrell life as i also use it for f-class

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.